Locked out

'75 model. Yesterday I locked the driver's door like always by turning the knob inside and closing the door. Later in the day I wanted to open the driver's door again and the key wouldn't release the lock. I crawled in by way of the passenger door and the knob wouldn't turn a full 90* to unlock, only 45*. I ran the driver's electric window down and could not determine where the problem was with a small flashlight. Something is keeping the lock from releasing all the way. My shop manual doesn't cover trouble shooting the latch mechanism, and my assembly manual doesn't either. Any ideas ?

Reply to
W Moore

Just another guy

I've tried both. It seems the outer and inner door handles work independently of each other, and the inner lock-knob and outer key-trip for the lock are attached to the locking arm at different points. A long screwdriver will not move the locking arm fully out of lock position, only partially. It's like a spring or something in the mechanism has come loose and is jamming up the lock arm inside the latch unit. I have the original latching unit that was replaced in 2002 for a similar problem but at that time everything worked except the outer door handle portion. The kicker is that with the door locked closed I can't remove the interior paneling to see better, or even remove/replace the darn unit as a whole ! More ideas are needed ! Thanks for yours.

Reply to
W Moore

I've been adjusting the doors on my 82 and have made many adjustments to get all the lock releases to work properly. They can be a bear to work on even when the window mechanism is out. The various rods in my door all lead to a lock panel mechanism. You need to get something down the window well (we used what looked like a long curved ice pick) and move the trip rod (down?) to make it open. Pulling any of the connecting rods enough might do it.

David

Reply to
Eagle

David is correct. a good auto locksmith should be able to trigger the latch mechanism and open the door. I would NOT recommend poking around in the door cavity without complete knowledge of the inner workings. more damage can accidentally be done...

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
WayneC

repo men don't have complete knowledge of the inner workings in the door cavity. they just slam a slim-jim till the door unlocks. they are not much worried about doing damage....

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Thanks to all for the ideas. I have decided to take the car to my Vette guy who can either fix it or call in a locksmith. He is the guy I bought the car from in '77 who was a Chevy mechanic that left the dealership to open his own shop. Vettes are his specialty. Here's hoping it all works out !

Reply to
W Moore

g'luck

Reply to