Lost 1989 Corvette Wheel Lock Key

Can anyone help? I lost (or some repair place permanently borrowed from me) the wheel lock key for my 1989 Corvette. Does anyone have any suggestions. I bought a wheel lock removal kit by Sunex Tools, but none of the sockets fit the center cap locks. HELP HELP !!

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
SKW

Ouch, about 10 years ago I 'lost' a lug nut locking wrench for a Trans-AM & had all of the locking nuts cracked off. A year later, I found the wrench, duct-taped to the spare tire wheel. Search the car for the key and look under the carpets for a "key registration document." If this was a McGard system the registration number will help you order a new lock key.

The '89 lock key part number is "Corvette 13049" but the insert on mine isn't marked with a code. Dealers might have some cross reference between a McGard ID number and the VIN -- worth a try.

The lock key pattern resembles those used by McGard--who made most of the lug nut lock wrenches for OEM alloys on GM cars during the '80s and '90s. You might check their web site or call their 1-800 number. If they didn't do the '89 'vette cover lock bolts & keys they might know who made them.

includes examples of McGard ID registration documents that come with new cars.)

If all this fails, talk with a dental tech. It's probable that an precise impression of the lock bolt head could be used to make a wrench. Hard material, like that used to make dental partials might work. Pray that the bolt threads aren't corroded and that they back out easily.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

"" wrote: > Can anyone help? I lost (or some repair place permanently > borrowed from me) > the wheel lock key for my 1989 Corvette. Does anyone have any > suggestions. > I bought a wheel lock removal kit by Sunex Tools, but none of > the sockets > fit the center cap locks. HELP HELP !! > > Thanks, Scott > > --

Scott, I just bought a 1988 without a wheel lock key. Did you find a way to get yours off? If so could you share that with me please? Thanks Dick

Reply to
Dick357

The original dealer might have the registration number. If so, get reorder info from McGard >.

If that fails, have a dental tech make an impression of the lock face and produce a "wrench" out of the metal they use for dental "partials."

PJ

Reply to
PJ

Snap-On and other tool makers has sockets you hammer on that will remove them. Out of necessity most tire shops have them.

Al

Al

Reply to
Big Al