LT-1 cooling fan replacement hint needed...can't get old one out

Howdy folks! I found what seemed to be a simple task, according to the manual, but is anything but. Primary fan replacement. It ther e a trick to this I'm mising? There is not enough clearance behind the motor from the frame cross-over in front of the engine. I've wiggled/tilted, tried to rotate, used the associated colorful language, and it just has not got enough room to clear, and even if the fan mount frame could clear, the fan itself still extends inside a bit further. I backed out the three screws that hold the motor to the bracket, a little and a lot. Just not enough clearance from fan blade/shroud to back of motor/frame

The manual just says loosed the four screws, disconnect electrical, remove. But I had to take the upper hose off, which required draining coolant, etc.

I'm stumped. The small saw comes out next to slice the shroud, and epoxy later.

Anybody able to tell me what I'm missing, considering the manual made it sound REAL simple, and tech time is shown as 0.9 hours.

Thanks in advance!

GeorgeC

92 Red/Red LT-1
Reply to
GeorgeC

LT-1 primary fan removal/replacement. (The manual is REAL wrong on this) And to save anyone any added trouble, here's my recommended tool set for this:

1/2" box wrench, long (fan to motor) 1/2" socket 1/4" drive. (fan to motor) long handle 10mm open end, short (motor to bracket) 10mm socket (bracket to shroud, shroud to radiator cover) 12" pry bar

This was so much more than the manual said. I had to remove the bracket screws, of course. Then remove upper radiator hose. Here's the rest- loosen the three schools that hold te motor to the bracket. REmove the screws that hold the a/c accumulator to teh shroud, and the remainder of the shroud upper screws. Now, after backing teh motor mounting screws (3 of 'em) out about 3/16", pry the power connector off the motor, and then pull the shroud top back, it will move about 1" or a bit more. Snake in a 1/2" socket wrench onto the nut that holds the fan blade assembly on. BAck it off. And then work the fan blade off the motor, and then carefully back out the three motor mounting screws. Carefully remove the fan mount bracket, and the motor, eventually get the fan blade out.

Here's the rest of the story re: installation:

First, out of the car assemble everything to make sure it all fits. The Siemens motor I bought needed a washer, not much of one, under the nut that holds the fan blade assembly to the motor.

Remove the fan, place it inside the shroud ahead of putting the motor/bracket in. next, put the three screws in that hold the motor to the bracket, but only enough thread in to not let them fall out.

Put the bracket/motor in place, will need to jack around with refrigerant hoses, etc.

Once in place (need skinny hands/arms here) tighten the screws that hold the motor to the bracket. And remember, you have removed the top row of screws for the shroud.

Pull back on the shroud top, and place the fan blade assembly on to the motor shaft. It is keyed with several plastic "nubbies" inside the hub. Remember that.

Next, I used a box wrench to set the nut on the shaft. It is reverse threaded, so be sure you turn the right way, or you'll be there forever backing it off. I held the nut with the wrench, and simply spun the fan blades to tighten, the last bit just had to do that tightening manual type.

At this point, just re-mount all the crap you removed in the process. Don't forget the electrical connector.

Done.

I hope I saved someone some time. I spent way too much time trying to figure how the manual's method could be accomplished. It can't. Period.

I hope my secondary one hangs in. I really hate moving a/c components. System is tight, moving stuff can only disturb that status.

Reply to
George Csahanin

You are right on target with the cutting of the shroud to get the shroud out of the way to get the cooling fan assembly off. If you are careful and wiggle alot you can get the shroud off without cutting it. I have a

92 and I have d> Howdy folks! I found what seemed to be a simple task, according to the
Reply to
john smith

unless you want to take the condensor line off to get the shroud off.

Local Chevy dealer told me the manual was written by some engineer who didn't know how to use a wrench. :o)

Said they have found the easiest way to do this is to pull the radiator/AC condenser/Fan assembly cartridge. It is a LOT more expensive because it means a new drier for the A/C system, pumping the system down, new refrigerant (and if the conversion hasn't been made to R134 yet, it is REALLY a lot more).

The posts here prove again why this forum is valuable. The Chevy dealer here told me the cost to swap out the fan motor would be AT LEAST $600.00. I can nurse a couple of busted knuckles for that much money, plus it gives me and excuse to tinker on my toy and enjoy a few carbonated beverages in the process.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

The Siemens motor I bought for the fan was $29 at AutoZone (ok, maybe it was $39, my 51 year old memory has it's moments) Knuckles? They'll heal, I hope.

-GeorgeC

92 LT-1 Red/Red
Reply to
GeorgeC