Making a Service Bullitin Clain

I noticed there was a service bulletin out for my '98. It mentioned premature wear on the leather bolsters. I mentioned it years ago but they told me it wasn't covered. But I didn't know a service bulletin existed and I can't find it written up in a service order. Is it too late to make a claim on it?

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

"Steve Horrillo" wrote in message news:S0gEf.19310$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

shouldn't be too late. contact your dealer and tell them to look up the bulletin in question. then take it from there...

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

The presence of a TSB has nothing to do with a warranty. TSBs publish new techniques and materials needed to service a car issue that wasn't considered when the original shop manual was written. TSBs aim at uniformity of action throughout the GM/Chevy/GoodWrench service organization and can revise the specs (p/n's) of replacement parts and servicing materials.

While there are some exceptions (for design issues), any issue related to "wear" is usually excluded from the warranty. (Unless you have pre-paid for maitenance by buying a high-end BMW. Rolls Royce or a Hyundai).

The first owner of my C4 was large and probably wore Levis. The denim & rivets took a toll on the driver's seat bolsters. Had he/she worn wool or perhaps, had the right leather dressing been applied, the bolsters would have not required repair at 40K miles. Prior owner might have "slud" across the bolsters when entering and exiting (rather than planting his/her butt in the seatback and sliding down gently into the seat.) Maybe the car was driven on just two mile jaunts, with many entries and exits. This is stuff that the manufacturer cannot anticipate when 'designing for durability.' Generally, Corvette buyers are more critical about lateral support than they are about bolster durability.

Haven't read this particular TSB but I'd not waste time on it. Depending on how you read it, you can either take the maintenance tips to heart or cry in your beer. You can also take it to a club meeting and get the Chaplin to punch your card -- one more time. Better to take pride in ownership, enjoy the car and maintain it as you see fit!

P.S. PJ's little nasty secret: One bolster in my C4 is now color matched vinyl vice leather--shame on PJ!

Reply to
PJ

My dealer replaced mine while it was in for service, it's a zipper change takes all of 5 minutes. I didn't even notice it until I read the service sheet when I got home. I always have them change the oil (free) the first 4 times so it was in the first year of its life. Zero charge for it and no hassle on another change they made which I can't remember right now. Never to late to make a claim, way late to get it done for free unless you are very lucky.

Dad Very old skate board with flower decals.

Reply to
Dad

Remember the injection molded neon plastic ones with steel wheels? LOLOLOL My first skateboard. Around '65 or '66 I think.

Reply to
RicSeyler

Yep, that's about what mine is, my kid took the good one and wore out many shoe toes on his paper route.

Reply to
Dad