Meguiars spray on wax ??

Page 2 of 4

Old wives tale, your chamois takes off as much wax as does Dawn soap. Been using dish soap since the '60s and have seen no ill effects yet. As far as leaving a residue, make up your mind, first it takes everything off including the wax and then it leaves a residue? I have a picture of my Eldorado that I washed in Dawn for 9 years and 118K miles that still looked new when I traded it in, waxed it maybe 3 times. Use what makes you feel good, after this long I doubt I'll change because it scared you.

Its not an old wifes tale. You shouldn't use a chamois either, you should use terry cloth or microfiber towels to dry a car. Yes it takes of everything then leaves a residue. You clearly don't have an understanding of how dish soap works on automotive finsishes, but you won't change because your too cheap.

Didn't say I used a chamois, I said "your" chamois. Help me with my "understanding" and use some facts please.
If you mean cheap as not spending money on needless items, I'm guilty.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

I don't use a chamois. Fact, dish soap strips off wax and can leave a resuide behind. Fact, car wash soaps do not strip off wax or leave a residue behind.

Fact, you have no facts. You eat off plates with a residue on them?
Take a look at the MSDS sheets on dish soap and car wash soap.

I have given you facts. A simple Google search backs up my facts and debunks your idea. Eating off plates isn't the same as washing a car. Unless you paint your plates with an automotive finish and wax them.
MSDS sheets refer to the human safety aspect.

With all due respect, I think the MSDS also gives the chemical composition as well as the human safety aspect. BTW, my understanding is, a grocery store is supposed to carry them for your inspection since they sell chemical composed items but I bet if you ask for a "MSDS" sheet, almost no one will know what you are talking about.
The only reason I know about MSDS was because when I had to visit petrochemical plants (btw, not the kinda place you want your vette to be), they make you take safety courses before hand and talk and show you MSDS sheets.
<No Vette Yet> wrote in message

Try going into a mine without mega safety training.

No thank you.
I don't even want to go where I've been where the valves are 50 plus years old or the steel columns are rusting out at the bottom.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040705030301030603050107 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Dad wrote:

LOLOL I took Coal Mining in High School. Went to English class, then went 300ft down in the mine the rest of the day. They couldn't get away with that now-a-days!!!
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

How can I deal with logic like that? I'll have to see what google says about that if I need to believe it or not.

It also gives the base chemicals used in both. Your facts are web hearsay and old wives tales, try looking at the chemical composition of both soaps then if you don't agree with using MSDS sheets. Ever even give it any thought as to why they used Dawn to clean animals after the oil spill?
Chemical compatibility.

You mean how can you deal with the truth?

If you don't understand the basics of how Dawn works then you'll never understand. Of course they use Dawn for cleaning animals.. IT REMOVES THE OIL AND WAX!. The same thing is does to you car.. IT REMOVES THE WAX.
Now if you goal is to remove the wax before doing a clay bar treatment and re waxing then thats another thing.
I suggest you look at the information from companies that make automotive paint, clear coat and waxes and let me know which ones say to use Dawn to clean your car with.
:> :>>
:>> :>>>>> I don't use a chamois. Fact, dish soap strips off wax and can leave a :>>>>> resuide behind. Fact, car wash soaps do not strip off wax or leave a :>>>>> residue behind. :>>>> :>>>>Fact, you have no facts. You eat off plates with a residue on them? :>>>> :>>>>Take a look at the MSDS sheets on dish soap and car wash soap. :>>> :>>> I have given you facts. A simple Google search backs up my facts and :>>> debunks your idea. Eating off plates isn't the same as washing a car. :>>> Unless you paint your plates with an automotive finish and wax them. :>> :>>How can I deal with logic like that? I'll have to see what google says about :>>that if I need to believe it or not. :> :>You mean how can you deal with the truth? :> :>> :>>> MSDS sheets refer to the human safety aspect. :>> :>>It also gives the base chemicals used in both. Your facts are web hearsay and :>>old wives tales, try looking at the chemical composition of both soaps then if :>>you don't agree with using MSDS sheets. Ever even give it any thought as to why :>>they used Dawn to clean animals after the oil spill? :> :>If you don't understand the basics of how Dawn works then you'll never :>understand. Of course they use Dawn for cleaning animals.. IT REMOVES :>THE OIL AND WAX!. The same thing is does to you car.. IT REMOVES THE :>WAX.
Dawn is one of the soaps used to clean animals sprayed by skunks. I've used it for years and it's the only thing, combined with a white vinegar rinse that removes the scent completely.
:>Now if you goal is to remove the wax before doing a clay bar treatment :>and re waxing then thats another thing. :> :>I suggest you look at the information from companies that make :>automotive paint, clear coat and waxes and let me know which ones say :>to use Dawn to clean your car with.
Dawn strips the wax. You're not wrong Andy.

Lets hope no one else has to find that out the hard way.
Andy wrote:

And google says!
See step one here. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-perfect.html
First paragraph here http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/toyota-faq/RAV4/section-56.html
Or 2/3 down the page here http://www.properautocare.com/remexwaxorse.html
I think perhaps that "Dawn removes wax" fits into Urban legend category!

I read them and:
First example is before using clay. So you are removing the wax.
Second example: Wash your RAV4 regularly with a mild detergent designed for cars. Dishwashing soap, like Ivory or Dawn, is fairly mild and works pretty well, although some people do not recommend using a dish soap. Any harsh soap or ammonia based cleaner will remove the wax from your finish and leave it looking dull.
So most people don't recomend it.
Third example: Dawn dishwashing soap has earned a reputation for removing wax but I've experienced mixed results using this soap.
Mixed results. So if the results are only mixed then it can't be that good.
Seems "Dawn removes wax" is correct and isn't any kind of legand.

it says some people, not most people, and you think I am "misguided" ! :-)
--
"Key"
=====

Andy wrote:

Nope, seems you don't read so well, since your selective quoting is contrary to what is the fact.

There you go again, trying to say that facts support your position when they clearly don't. Why don't you go back and read the links you posted. In the case of the clay bar application, it doesn't matter since clay bar also removes wax.
snip

As un-informed as you are about dish soap I would guess you wouldn't want to hear about how many vehicles I've washed with Tide laundry granules. Does a much better job than that old Dawn.