Mini Petrol Powered Corvette 'Go-Kart' For Sale (7ft Long) On UK Ebay

Page 3 of 7
RicSeyler ( snipped-for-privacy@SPAMgulf.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Easy. That'll be any UK registered (in fact, probably any non-US- registered) Corvette that was first registered between 1/1/83 and 31/12/83.
Next.
Adrian wrote:

Registration date <> model year.
http://www.idavette.net/facts/83.htm
1983 Corvette
Officially, There were no 1983 Corvettes. There were forty seven 1983 Corvettes made but none were ever sold. The National Corvette Museum has the only 1983 known at this time. The new Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY closed in October of 1982 to begin retooling for the 1984 Corvette. Production began in January of 1983 and the press received their first view of the 1984 Corvette in January of 1983. In February, the first production 1984 Corvettes were sold to the public. In March of 1983, the 1984 Corvette officially went on sale in the United States, except for California and a month later, in April, the 1984 Corvette went on sale in California. By October of 1983, the plant was in full speed production.

Not quite true. On each car is a VIN. This determines model year, not registration.
In fact, on the examples of British number plates in another part, some had registered later than the car was built. And if you import a car, does it become the model of the year it was imported? For example, you import a '67 Corvette in 1983, so it becomes a 1983 Corvette?
My British title for my Lotus doesn't say what year the car is, only what date it was registered. The model year is determined by the manufacturer, Lotus.
gurgled happily, sounding much like

I don't know whether the system has changed since but from 1st January 1970 Lotus used the calendar year and month of manufacture as the first 4 digits of the identification number so there wouldn't be this nonsense about cars being sold prior to the start of their 'model year'.
--
Roger Chapman

Snappo ( snipped-for-privacy@anonymous.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Tough, it does over here.
There is no such concept as "model year" on a UK registration document - or in the UK generally.
Get over your parochialism.

That's a nice little pot-kettleism. Got any more like that?
Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

bureaucracy of one country.
The statement was that there were no "titles" anywhere for '73 Corvettes. There are. Just not in the US.

I don't think Snappo was claiming that, either.

No. He didn't say that, either.
Go on, jerk your knee again.
Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'73, '83, whatever.

As I said. Easy. Any V5 for any 'vette that was first registered between 1/1/83 and 31/12/83. The vast majority of other countries worldwide, if you don't particularly want to use the UK for whatever reason.

I was letting your typo go. He didn't make that claim for '83 Corvettes.

I think you've lost track of who you're quoting and who you're trying to lambaste. I was responding to your response to Snappo. Go back and re-read the dialogue...
Adrian wrote:

Does it? How does that work then? IIRC when I worked at Vauxhall the model year was related to a batch of changes, not the registration. I can't remember the date the new model year tended to start, but I think it was the end of the summer holiday.
There are plenty of 92 model year cars registered as late as 94. In fact there are usually so many new examples of the outgoing models in stock that you can get the old model for more than a year after the new model is introduced.
Witness the number of '02 Astra G/Bs on 03, 53, and even 04 plates.

Bullshit. The manufacturers have a model year. I know from first hand experience that GM use them and IIRC they are not 01 Jan - 31 Dec.

Patronising wanker.
Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And where on a V5 would that be found?
Adrian wrote:

WTF has the V5 got to do with it? If GM didn't make any '83 model year 'vettes then there aren't any. Period.
IF one was registered in the UK in 83 then it'd be an 82 or earlier model on a Y-suffix or A-prefix plate or maybe an early 84 model year (or later) on an A-prefix plate.
As Snappo said: Registration date <> model year.
Registration date DOES NOT EQUAL model year for the hard of understanding. If you bought a new 'vette in 83 it was the 82 model year car. It is possible that they launched the '84 model before the end of 83 - as I said I can't remember when GM model years start - so there could be an 84 registered in 83.
Because...
REGISTRATION DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MODEL YEAR
And once more to ram it home:-
REGISTRATION DATE DOES NOT EQUAL MODEL YEAR

But there were Corvettes made in 1983, it's just that they were marketed as 1984 'model year' cars.
That was all I originally claimed, if you look back - ISTR I said something along the lines of 'the C4 ran from 1983 to 1996' which is factually correct.
I don't give a flying fuck about some Merkin 'model year' shite.
Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Simple. The question related to the title claiming a car was an '83 Corvette. The V5 is our equivalent of the "title".
We have no official concept here of the age of a car other than the first registration date.

I think you mean "Full stop".

You continue to miss my point - the V5 would not say it was a 1982 or 1984 car, it would say it was a 1983 car.

THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF MODEL YEAR ON UK "TITLES" (or V5s as we call 'em).
DVLA don't give a flying fuck what some 'merkin salesmuppet flogged the damn car as twenty years ago.
Adrian wrote:

Not especially. Not according to Chambers, anyway.

No it wouldn't. It would say date of first registration: dd/mm/1983. This does not imply a 1983 car, just that it was first registered. The VIN or chassis number can be cross referenced with the manufacturer to determine what 'model year' they built and when they built it.
My point being that the 'model year' is wholly a manufacturer's classification so that they can match the right parts and configuration. The difference between 81 and 82 may only be the position of the heater fan switch or it could be a whole new design. The fact is, the manufacturer will decide what makes the new model year which is in no way related to the date of registration except that the designated registration cannot indicate a newer year than the car was built.

No there isn't and no they don't. So you agree your statement "Tough, it does over here." with regard to "Registration date <> model year" is false then?
The point you appeared to be trying to make, and forgive me if I can't make complete sense of your deranged ramblings, is that because the UK log book does not record a manufacturer's model year as the US title does, then there is no such concept of model year in the UK.
I contend there IS, it's just not recorded by the DVLA on the log book. A 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier is still a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier whenever it was registered. Vauxhall, if you ask them, will still regard it as a 1994 model year even if you, Adrian, do not believe they exist.

His point is entirely clear, and no, you don't understand it. Your analysis above is wrong.

The original statement being referred to was about 'title'. That title is the V5. The manufacturer's concept of "Model year" is _completely_ irrelevant to the title.
Ie you're continuing to miss Adrian's point in a rather amusing fashion, whereas I suspect he's known yours even before you began to present it.
clive

That cleared that up, the title is a 1983, the car is still a 1984. Today we give thanks for being free of the loony British rule, well kinda, more on that July 4th.
Dad wrote:

I agree. And like I said: Model Year <> First Registration.
To change the subject for a moment - is it fairly safe for me to put two sets of clubs in the back of my new C6? Can I just put a nice soft blanket down or something and be perfectly fine? I don't want to damage anything.

Richard Polhill ( snipped-for-privacy@polhill.vispa.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is as close to the age of the car as the paperwork gets.

IF that manufacturer happens to use the concept of a Model Year. Which not all do.

Right - and therefore irrelevant to the registration details, which is what I've been saying all along.
(Apart from in the US, where the title DOES state the MY - even when it's irrelevant, because the manufacturer doesn't use it.)

Thank you.
And the original challenge was to find a Corvette TITLE - which we call a V5 - that says it's a 1983. Simple. All Corvettes first registered in 1983 will say they're 1983 cars. They won't say that it's an '82 or an '84 car. Because it isn't outside of some internal specification tracking designation.

The fact that no Corvette V5 says that GM call it an '83MY is irrelevant - because no V5 will say that any car is whatever MY - no '94 Chavalier V5 will call it a Vectra A or a Cavalier Mk3 - and just as no V5 for a Citroen or Peugeot will give the RP number, which is how PSA track model/part fitment changes (to the production day). The fact that amanufacturer refers to their production changes in a certain arbitrary way is irrelevant outside the US-centric concept of the Model Year.
I couldn't give a flying fuck if GM called any 'vettes 1983 or 1845 or whatever. They're still overpowered ill-handling barges solely desirable to the chestwig brigade.