Mini Petrol Powered Corvette 'Go-Kart' For Sale (7ft Long) On UK Ebay

Yup, most main dealers over here have such a system.

What crap. That makes the very broad assumption that manufacturers only ever make and apply subtle changes to the design of their cars (be it internal or external, cosmetic or mechanical) on New Year's Eve. I don't think they do. Therefore there could be several small changes in the one year. It's a crap way of doing things. The only real way is to have a database that's linked to VIN no (and often reg no, though with private plates that can have its problems), in order to find the correct part. Other than that, it's just major model changes (referred to by Mk1/2/3 etc, or by manufacturers' own systems i.e. W126 etc for Merc and E32/34/36 etc etc for BMW).

Have you not got it into your head that we don't call it "model year" because it's too vague. We refer to different models by specific model designators (as I said above) - e.g. BMW 5 series goes E28/E34/E39/E60(?), with possibly one or two before that (google for john burns bmw for a good site with all that stuff on). That, and major facelifts within a model are generally referred to as that.

Because we don't refer to it by year. Get over it.

Most people would call it a facelift Mk3. It's how we do things. We use actual words such as adjectives and known descriptors to describe things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When I look on the AutoTrader web site, the majority of the cars advertised have something that looks suspiciously like a year in the title line.

What's that all about, then?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Do you have to work on being this stupid?

The year referred to in Autotrader is the *year of registration*.

It's not the year it was manufactured, or some marketing gimmick 'model year'.

Do you understand now? - or are you going to continue playing the stupidity card?

Reply to
SteveH

That cleared that up, the title is a 1983, the car is still a 1984. Today we give thanks for being free of the loony British rule, well kinda, more on that July 4th.

Reply to
Dad

Dean Dark ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Go to

and see if you can figure out why they give different prices for (for example) a 2005 55-reg and a 2006 55-reg Ford Mondeo, given that 55-reg cars were first registered between 1/9/05 and

28/2/06
Reply to
Adrian

Here's a hint. Post at the bottom, snip the sigs and try not to post under the sig-separator, which means your rantings will be invisible to most people.

Thanks for confirming that 'model years' have nothing to do with the year of manufacture or year of registration.

It's taken a while, but you got there in the end.

Reply to
SteveH

He was wrong? You guys are all painting yourselves into corners over this model/registration year thing. Some of you are saying that you

*never* refer to the year (see PVM above) and others are saying that a 1995 car first registered in 2006 is a 2006 car. If that amounts to me paying the stupidity card, then more fool you for picking it up...
Reply to
Dean Dark

Eh?

You still don't understand, do you?

We don't give a toss about 'model years' - which appear to be a marketing ploy to get stupid people to part with money. From what I can see, generally the difference between this years' and next years' model is that they've changed the font on a switch or something equally trivial to be able to advertise it as a new 'model year'.

We just refer to stuff by the year it was registered. It really is that simple. None of this 'registered in September 2006, but it's a 2007 model' bollocks.

Reply to
SteveH

I don't understand the *different* things you are all saying. I wish you'd make your minds up.

So PikeyVanMan was wrong?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Read his post again.

Or was it too complicated for you?

Reply to
SteveH

That is absurd. So if you buy a 1980 vehicle (as an investment) and leave it in a garage and never registered for use on public roads; 20 years later when you change your mind and register it for the first time it becomes a

2000 vehicle? You have got to be a troll looking for a pissing war in the car groups. Nobody could be that stupid. ^K
Reply to
Snappo

I agree. And like I said: Model Year First Registration.

To change the subject for a moment - is it fairly safe for me to put two sets of clubs in the back of my new C6? Can I just put a nice soft blanket down or something and be perfectly fine? I don't want to damage anything.

Reply to
Snappo

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Although, if you can prove the year of manufacture, I believe you can apply for an age-related plate for the vehicle.

Reply to
SteveH

You have to refer that to Dad. I don't have a clue how they do it. If they just shut off fuel; then what would happen on the exhaust stroke? Is it possible it stops the function of the valves themself?

Reply to
Snappo

Um - nobody's arguing that at all. If you think they are, then you've missed the point rather well.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

With all due respect, I am calling *bullshit* on this: From the thread:

Reply to
Snappo

OK, I did. He says you only *ever* refer to a car by its model/type/designation. You're contradicting him.

It's too complicated either for you or for PikeyVanMan, that's for sure.

Maybe you and he need to get together and come up with a unified theory of some sort? Get back to us when you've decided what it is.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Which is 100% true over here.

Reply to
SteveH

Wow! This thread can't be far away from a Godwin now.

It's been entertaining.

Reply to
Dean Dark