Mirror Gromet Rplacement

The grommet right behind the driver's side mirror that holds the mirror in place popped off. Even though I removed the mirror it's too tight a space
for me to push it back on. The dealer said the whole mirror needs to be replaced at the cost of $500! Any tips on how to get the retainer ring back on?
--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht. =^..^=