miss the lt4

Now on my 4th Corvette I own a c5 convertible 6 spd. Last car was a

96 lt4 targa. The c5 is better in every way. I hated getting in and out of the other car

but you know what. I think I liked it equally as well and I kind of wish I had both.

While the c4 was not nearly as tight and could definetely NOT be used hard with the roof off...

It was fantastic with that sweet glass roof, nicer engine noise and I love love love those glove seats.

So if you have a c4 and some guy waves with a little corvette envy... it is me.

So what 4 cars do I own

cadillac srx subaru forester nissan altima hybrid corvette c5

What 4 cars do I want ferarri 430 corvette zr1 any year, new or old porsche new one that seats 4 and prius so my kids think I am environmentally concious.

96 lt4 07 z06 Challenger rt8 Ferarri 430 vert.

So we will see.

Reply to
rebco10

I currently have a C6 '07 vert, and a C5 '99 coupe (my first vette). The C6 is better in every way to the C5. The C6 looks better, more HP, better fit and finsh, better seats, etc. But guess what, I still love the C5 too. The first time I drove the C5 I was simply amazed how great a car it was. Lots of power, handled great, sounded great, and a better ride than any other performance car I had ever driven. For some reason, I take the C6 for granted. Every time I get in and drive the C5 (which isn't very often these days), I still get that sense of amazement. I never have that feeling when I drive the C6. It's almost like I expect if from the C6. With the C5, its like the feeling I got when I got my first bicycle when I was 8 years old. I had no idea I was getting one (I was told I was to young for bike, maybe next year..), and with sleep still in my eyes and a groggy head very early Christmas morining before everyone else was up, I walked out in the living room and there it was. I was so excited!!! But what made it really special was that my Dad had gotten up even earlier and was sitting in his chair waiting for me so he could see the excitement in my eyes when I first saw it. At the time I thought it was the bike that made that Christmas special, but it wasn't the bike at all. Maybe that's what makes my C5 so special when I drive it, it was my FIRST vette, and certainly not my last....

"rebco10" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Thrill5

Strange how we think of our car/prized possessions. As mentioned Christmas has it's memories like the hand carved hickory bow us boys got in 1942 because that's all Dad could afford at the time. That turned out to be a better Christmas then the next one, we each got an orange and some home made candy. Still it was from Mom and him and most kids didn't get anything much better so it remains special.

Then there was the '58 Corvette that kept me awake all night thinking about picking it up the next day. Got there the next morning and found out that they had made a "mistake" and it had been sold to someone else. BS, they used me to get a higher price out of someone else.

Then the '63 turns out to be junk and was in the shop more than it was at my house, should have kept the '61. Even now I miss the '98 and would drive a C5 anytime, great machine. The C6 is a great traveling machine and fills my needs at this age. On the other hand when I want to have some driving enjoyment, (most weekends), I drive the '64. Simple machine, no garbage, just a V8 with a 4 speed, put the top down and drive back into the old days. I don't stay there long, they were not always the "good ol days."

Save the wave......

Reply to
Dad

I traded off an absolutely pristine 2004 C5 Z06 for a 2008 Z. I sure miss that C5!

The '08 is truely a remarkable car with the high revving 505 hp motor, but the '04 was truely a handling car and probably a little faster in tight corners.

Wish I had Jay Leno's Garage and could store my old cars. I had a '74 Super Duty 455 Trans Am that is priceless today that I sold for $3500 when I was broke going to college.

Spud

Reply to
Spud

This is a great thread - brings back memories. I ordered a 67 Corvette rag top before I left on my last cruise before getting out of the Navy. The brand new car would be waiting for me when I got home. I saved a lot of money on the cruise and paid for over half of it. I sold it before I went to California.

The 68 dis not appeal to me but later grew on me and my next one was a

74 T-Top. I liked it my wife and I enjoyed riding around in it as well as commuting together. On one trip to Michigan, her home State, we were riding along the Ohio Turnpike and I pointed out the idiot next to us in a Volare with kids in the car seats and a tire on the roof. Then Brian was born. The Vette got traded in on a Volare and next year we were the idiots on the Turnpike going to Michigan.

Then Brian got a full scholarship and went away to college. At the time I had two Caprices - one wagon - one sedan - and a truck. Sold the Caprice wagon for cash to a Middle Eastern liquor dealer in Wash, DC. Saw the car around every now and then. Bought a teal 92 C4 for cash and we were back in the old days. I always wanted my 67 back - nothing could equal that in my mind. In 01 I drove a C5 and it seemed more like my wife's Seville than a Corvette. Got back in the 92, started it up, heard those mufflers, car shaking, windshield moving in tight turns -- love this car.

Then I bought a 6-spd C5 convertible with all the options except performance suspension - I had the select ride instead. After owning and driving this, my yearning for the 67 went away. This one is a 67 and then some. Similar cockpit. I couldn't drive the 67 for 8 hrs on a trip without getting a backache. We drove the C5 to Florida on a 13 hr trip with no back ache.

I am looking at the C6 - nice power - don't really need it. I can get up to 32 MPG with the C5 if I stay under 65. The convertible top mechanism takes up too much trunk space. I say I'll stay with the C5, but in looking what I have done, there is probably a C6 or C7 in my future. =A0

Reply to
Blue C5