Most Big Suv/Truck owners deserve what they're they're paying at the gas pump

Page 1 of 6
They always shine their lights into cars rear view mirrors, they always block other people's view and cause accidents in parking lots even when they're parked with nobody in them.
SUVs and Trucks aren't any safer than cars as death rates and crash tests prove, SUVs and Trucks are only good at hurting the people more and killing more of the people who get hit by the SUV or Truck, and not any better at protecting the people inside the SUV or Truck. The only people who should use SUVs or Large trucks are people who have a legit reason like towing a boat, horse trailer, job requirement, going on a African Safari, etc. All the people who bought SUVs and Trucks just to "look cool" when they should have really bought a station wagon to fit all their needs deserve ALL THE PAIN THEY GET AT THE PUMP. If all those people who bought SUVs to look cool who only needed a fuel efficient station wagon or their needs had bought the station wagon instead, then the 4000+ soldiers who died in Iraq so you can fill up your SUV may still be alive.
so drive your foreign little car and wish the economy was better. BUY AMERICAN or you are part of the problem old john 1999 chevrolet Tahoe
Hello, Sal! You wrote on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:16:30 -0700 (PDT):
S> They always shine their lights into cars rear view mirrors, they S> always block other people's view and cause accidents in parking lots S> even when they're parked with nobody in them. S> SUVs and Trucks aren't any safer than cars as death rates and crash S> tests prove, SUVs and Trucks are only good at hurting the people more S> and killing more of the people who get hit by the SUV or Truck, and S> not any better at protecting the people inside the SUV or Truck. The S> only people who should use SUVs or Large trucks are people who have a S> legit reason like towing a boat, horse trailer, job requirement, going S> on a African Safari, etc. All the people who bought SUVs and Trucks S> just to "look cool" when they should have really bought a station S> wagon to fit all their needs deserve ALL THE PAIN THEY GET AT THE S> PUMP. S> If all those people who bought SUVs to look cool who only needed a S> fuel efficient station wagon or their needs had bought the station S> wagon instead, then the 4000+ soldiers who died in Iraq so you can S> fill up your SUV may still be alive.
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

couple of corvettes. Then years ago one time due to a wreck and limited funds I wound up driving a used Datsun. I saved enough on gas to make the payments on it and that caught my attention but I sold it for what I paid after a few months and went back to a big Chevy. Gas went up (this was in the late 70's) and I bought a used Toyota because it had a working air conditioner. I noticed the monthly gasoline bill was half what it was, which was 150 bucks from 300 at the time and that Toyota just ran and ran. I'd planned on keeping it till it quit, but it never did quit and I finally sold it when I got a newer one. I've been pretty much sold on Hondas and Toyotas every since. I'm retired now, and a lot of the early retirement was due to the low cost per mile of the cars I drove which were mostly good used Toyotas and Hondas. I drove a lot and was paid mileage and over 25 years of lots of driving it added up. Tuesday I took my mom to the doctor and I drove about 400 miles in my 98 Toyota Tuesday using the AC the whole time, I filled it up yesterday for 40 bucks with gas at 3.77/gal. So do what you want, drive what you want, but sometime figure the actual cost per mile of your status symbol and if it's worth it to you, go for it. I choose to save the money, and use it for other things.
"Moe" ...

Here we go with the "unpatriotic" whine.
First of all, many Toyotas sold here are also *made* here.
Secondly, if I have to choose between keeping U.S. autoworkers employed, vs. keeping my own job, since my car will always be working, and not cost me a fortune to drive, as well as maintain (not in and out of the shop all the time), then I tend to choose keeping *my* job.
Having said that, I certainly do feel sorry for the working-class autoworkers, but it wasn't *me* who screwed them, anyway. It was their employers. They kept churning out gigantic (though well-made) vehicles, and ignored the small-car market, by churning out crappy "economy" cars. There was nothing economical about those things, except the occasional good gas mileage in the really tiny ones. That aside, the upkeep on the economy-class domestic cars is what totally sucked. My friends were car-less so many times, due to breakdowns of one kind or another. Toyota (and other mainly small-car manufacturers) were in the right place at the right time. Simple, yet tragic at the same time.
Though, if I were in the market for a large vehicle, I'd most probably go domestic. They clearly seem to be superior in that category.
Natalie, Air Force veteran, active duty Air Force wife, so yeah, patriotic. :-P

And the $$ goes back to Japan regardless of where it's made......
"Topp@Work" ...

work" :-P
I made several other points, which I see you conveniently snipped out.
That speaks volumes.
Natalie

Facts are so annoying to some people.
Detroit-worshippers love to babble about people being put out of work. But, I owned a Ford in the late 1970s, and that car did its best to put ME out of work. There's a limit to how many times a boss is willing to hear that you can't get to work because your car broke down again for reasons having nothing to do with how carefully you operated and maintained it.
My sister's late 70s Buick fried two transmissions in the first 120K miles, despite good maintenance and careful driving. Another car that tried to put its owner out of work...
1982 Tercel: 220K miles and my mechanic used to say "This car apparently never ages." No telling how far it might've gone if some drunk hadn't slammed into the back of it.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

they've been totaled, or has a nasty flat. You occasionally see early models on the hook....very rarely, but occasionally.
I think Ford is getting way better, but it may be too late to win back consumer confidence in their smaller vehicles. I hope not.
Natalie

My 92 Taurus wasn't bad, except for the fusible link they located down near road level, with a cheesy plastic cover that did nothing to protect the thing from salt. One day, dead car. $50 to tow it, but luckily, my mechanic decided to redesign the thing using his own materials, so the repair was cheap. Still, though, if that had happened in the middle of nowhere...
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:28:03 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

And except for the tranny failures that 50% of Taurus had at 70K miles... or had they corrected those by '92? :-)

I bought mine used in 1999 with 80K miles and drove it until about 200K, towing a 1000 lb boat each summer. No tranny problems.

No it means I possible agree with them, or not.....
"Topp@Work" ...

Natalie

Correction, "assembled" here.
"darden25" ...

Natalie
I agree - buy American - there are fuel efficient cars out there. Even flex fuel

Bob Drake wrote:

Buy U.S.A. built cars, not American nameplate cars built outside the U.S..
The Corolla is built in a UAW plant in California. Good choice for those that want a quality small car that's actually built in the U.S., not Mexico or Canada.
SMS wrote:

For GM, you can see which vehicles are built in which factory at "http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page ctory_guide"
For Ford, see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories ". They recently announced that their new sub-compact, the Fiesta, will be built in Mexico.

I think the correct term is "assembled." The actual parts may or may not come from Mexico. Probably for the Fiesta, most of the parts will come from other locations, at least initially.
And although Toyota "assembles" Corollas in California, do you know what percentage of the parts are actually made in the US? And where do the profits go? Ford assembles Fusions, Milans, and MKZs in Mexico, but I think a substantial portion of the content is made in the US. I believe the opposite is true for Corollas assembled in California. On the other hand for US assembled Camrys and Tundras, I think the majority of components are made in the US. Still the profits flow back to Japan.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Apparently it's 50% for the 2009. Of course with the convoluted domestic content laws, you have no idea of the actual amount of domestic content of any vehicle. Plus, the domestic content doesn't include labor.
I know that NUMMI has a stamping plant on-site, as well as a plastics fabricating plant, and that they try to use these for the cars built there to reduce transportation costs.
Best case is a vehicle from a U.S. corporation, assembled in the U.S., with high domestic content, without sacrificing reliability, longevity, quality, mpg, etc.
Barring that, the first concern should be that the vehicle was at least assembled in the U.S.. We need to keep those high paying blue collar manufacturing jobs in the U.S..