Most Big Suv/Truck owners deserve what they're they're paying at the gas pump

Page 3 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What needs to be done is to implement a system where the freedom to drive anything you want doesn't negatively affect those citizens that are more responsible. This is what other countries, specifically in Europe and Asia do.
What we're seeing is prices being driven up for _everyone_ because of those that are driving the gas guzzlers driving up demand. The whole world is actually paying for the lack of investment in any kind of transit system in the U.S..
Raise the federal gas tax by $6 a gallon, and give an offsetting tax credit of $5 per gallon for x number of gallons per year, i.e. $5 per day for _one_ registered non-commercial vehicle _per_ licensed, income tax-filing, driver. They'd have to let commercial vehicles not be limited in the tax credit. The other $1 would go to high speed rail.
Other than for cross-country trips, high speed rail would be much more fuel-efficient for shorter trips than airline travel is. Plus you can run the trains on electricity generated from nuclear power. We need to stop using fossil fuels for everything, just because they're cheap.
I agree. Only rich people should be allowed to drive nice SUVs and such. There are entirely too many poor people driving fancy vehicles. Why stop at $6/gallon in new taxes. Let's raise the tax to $100/gallon and forget this nonsense of giving tax breaks to those who don't pay any taxes. Let them ride bicycles like they do in China. If we did that then the Interstate system would be a much more pleasant drive for those of us who could afford it.
The Europeans have it right. Tax the poor until they don't drive unless they absolutely have to so the roads are safer for the rich.
On or about Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:43:39 -0700, SMS

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Also, can you pull your boat with a Kia?

I do
1998 C5 Red Coupe 2005 KIA Sorento Black
--
ZRiX

Have you been happy with the Kia, in terms of quality?

Vette http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146595
Sorrie http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146597
1st and formost you get what you paid for... But to answer your question yes! It makes for a nice drive with the room and the DVD player... Gas mileage sucks for being a mid-size suv... When I take it on trips I put the stock tires back on it for better gas mileage but most driving around town and short trips I have the 20's on it...
Zy
ZÿRiX turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

No slam on the Sorrento, but it is a truck.
It get about the same mileage as my Avalanche.
Dunno what a C5 is.