Most Big Suv/Truck owners deserve what they're they're paying at the gas pump

Page 4 of 6
I love the fact that the roads are less crowded now and generally speaking I can drive my 1 ton truck as fast and as far as I want without a Prius
getting in my way.. Sometimes I get bogged down in city traffic going slower than it did a year ago. I always maintain a safe following distance, but it only slows me down for as long as it takes get past that particular town. Once back on the open road, it's 80 MPH at 10 MPG! Hell, even the cops can't afford to keep up with me - I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since the price of gas hit $3.50/gallon.

I agree on some counts. A lot of soccer moms and dingbats who never get off of the paved roads have no need whatsoever for a big 4wd vehicle. If these people were driving efficient vehicles, that alone would save many many barrels of oil.
Any fool that tailgates a car so that their headlights invade the vehicles interior as to make it glow like a nuclear reactor, deserves to be dragged out of the truck and thoroughly beaten. ( I have pulled over and waved in more than one idiot for an ass whuppin, no takers yet.) I very much despise dumbass tailgaters....daytime or night. (road rage? or justifiable?, as far as Im concerned any fool that tailgates and/or behaves in an aggressive manor behind me is putting me and/or my family in mortal danger and it gets my britches in a twist every time)...dont they teach people how to drive anymore? (just for the record, I aint no rubbernecking grandpa...yet, I get on down the road)
As far as the Iraq war, I just dont get how people think it was for OIL! It was to remove a vicious dictator. It was to take a fight from our doorstep, to someone else's. It was and is, a means to drastically reduce the vermin count. It is a long term strategy to stabilize a region full of religious nutjobs. Sure, no WMD's, but it still was the right thing to do, even if we used WMD's as the excuse for getting in....and my son just got back home from serving there. I am proud of him. Go Marines!
I have a full size Blazer, it is dedicated boat puller. If it werent for that truck and 4WD Id still be sitting at a few boat ramps. Also own a big 3/4 HD, crew cab, 6.0, mostly a camper puller, that doesnt get much use in that area these days. Maybe once a year we will take a 2 hour drive and camp for a few days. Also the wife has a Versa, for work, and puddle jumping about, got to have an econo car when there are two gas hungry beasts in the driveway.

[...]
Bad drivers are not just limited to big SUV and full-sized pickups, although my impression is that people who drive them tend to push the envelope -- tailgaiting, running lights and speeding on the interstate. We have a Honda Pilot, a Civic and an Accord coupe I4. They all have their place -- but I guarantee you I use the Accord to drive the 56 round trip miles to work each day on I 75. At 32 + mpg you can see why. The wife uses the Civic around and town and the Pilot when the need arises.
As far as the Iraq war, I just dont get how people think it was for OIL! It was to remove a vicious dictator. It was to take a fight from our doorstep, to someone else's. It was and is, a means to drastically reduce the vermin count. It is a long term strategy to stabilize a region full of religious nutjobs. Sure, no WMD's, but it still was the right thing to do, even if we used WMD's as the excuse for getting in....and my son just got back home from serving there. I am proud of him. Go Marines!
Have a lot respect for Marines -- used to run each day with a MC 3 star when I served in the Pentagon years ago. He was 10 years older and I was hard pressed to stay with him. Now retired USAF-- too many years ago..
I have a full size Blazer, it is dedicated boat puller. If it werent for that truck and 4WD Id still be sitting at a few boat ramps. Also own a big 3/4 HD, crew cab, 6.0, mostly a camper puller, that doesnt get much use in that area these days. Maybe once a year we will take a 2 hour drive and camp for a few days. Also the wife has a Versa, for work, and puddle jumping about, got to have an econo car when there are two gas hungry beasts in the driveway.
Snip

--------
Thats some good fishing bait you have there... I'll bite.
The pursuit of happyness.
There it is... real simple.
Whatever floats your boat, diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes, Live and let live.
I never understand ones need to berate someone for thier personal choices.
HDS

You sure know how to lay it on real thick. I agree somewhat with you but not 100%. I think trucks and SUV's are safer but the drivers don't know how to drive them properly so the end result looks unsafe. I'm just glad I got rid of my 4Runner about 5 years ago. It did help us when we had some flooding and I liked being up high when driving compared to the cars I have now but other than that, I guess the cars work well for me now... certainly much better mpg's. I recall I was getting about 16/24 mpg with a 6cyl auto 4Runner and now with a 4 cyl auto Honda get around 24/34 mpg. That may not sound as good as 50mpg but it is real numbers on the road not the ideal / test track mpg's.
Anyway I want gas to go up to $5.00 / gal so everyone gets mad enough to make congress and the next president do something other than talk about it. I figure they will when enough people get really mad enough. Right now I think we are still to complacent so talk is about all we can expect from them. I may have to revise my thinking and hope for $6.00 / gal to get the job done???
<RnR> wrote in message

We'd have to pay politicians more than the corporations which are bribing them to do nothing. To understand this statement, you need to know that I consider campaign contributions to be bribes.
<RnR> wrote in message > wrote: Snip

So you want more of the government controls that have helped so well?

Normally no but in this case, yes.
<RnR> wrote in message >>> wrote:

Then there has been some kind of divine change in the way the political machine works that I haven't yet recognized that will allow it to go your way this time? Now that you're happy what do you think it will do for the other people paying taxes? Since you think that we are all complacent what are you doing to promote the change for us, something under the table/desk for the president or his campaign? I like your statement "Normally no but in this case, yes.", so we need to get past being normal?

Correct.
Does anyone know where the corvette newsgroup is?
Diderot
On 6/9/08 8:12 PM, in article Ividndad5pF9W9DVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net,

Zy<~~~~ Looking under chair, hmmm not there...
--
ZRiX
(`'..(<>..<>)..')

the good side is that this place has a swinging door that swings both ways..
no real need for you to reply... <plonk>
--
'Key
=====

On Jun 9, 4:10pm, RnR wrote:

Well, if everyone else drove the new 2009 Smart Car Hybrid, then there'd be so much excess gasoline, that they'd have to reduce the price to $1.00 a gallon because of weak demand. The scary thing is that with all those 18 wheelers and busses on the road, the Smart Car Hybrid just doesn't seem safe enough unless EVERYONE else drove one of these 75mpg micro hybrids. That's why I'd probably get a Camry Hybrid for my next car because it's far safer than any big suv, but it gets 40 MPG in the city. The thing that makes bigger cars and SUVs less safe is that they're VERY BAD at accident avoidance. How long does it take a big SUV to stop from 60 MPH? 165 feet? An average sedan would stop in 120, and a car like a Porsche GT2 would stop in 98 feet. That's why it's NOT the biggest vehicles that have the lowest death rates. A Honda Civic has a lower death rate than a Lincoln Town car because it can stop quickly enough and manuver around accidents where as big cars and trucks like Hummer H1s, H2s, Lincoln Town Cars, Ford Excursions, etc can't avoid those accidents, and what if that accident is against an 18 wheeler or a train, the SUV's added size isn't going to help any, whereas the Civics good brakes and manuverabiliy are going to help a whole lot more.. That's why A Toyota Rav4 is actually as FAR FAR safer SUV than a Ford Excursion or Hummer H1 in actual real world driving.
There are some safe SUVs, but most of the safest vehicles were midsize or larger sedans and coupes such as the Infinity G35, BMW 7 series, Audi A4/S4, Mercedes Benz E Class, Lexus ES330, etc. SUV safety is a MYTH you can easily get a car that's safer than ANY SUV for less money than that SUV. There are some SUVS that are safe, but there are MORE cars that are safe. A Car like a BMW 7 Series is a TANK and won't flip over like an SUV would. So if you feel like throwing your money away why not get that instead of an SUV.
Guess what the MOST dangerous vehicle on the road is? WRONG, it's not a smart car or a mini cooper, it's the Chevy Blazer 2dr(AKA The Death Trap).
On what are you basing your claim that - "SUV safety is a MYTH you can easily get a car that's safer than ANY SUV for less money than that SUV"? IIHS injury loss rating don't support this claim, neither do driver death rates. See:
http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/fact_sheets/personal_injury_coverage_04to06.pdf http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/fact_sheets/bodily_injury_liability.pdf http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/ictl_pdf/ictl_0906.pdf
Also, while the small 2 Dr, 2WD Blazer is one of the least safe vehicle you can buy, it never was the "worst." Generally, the small 2WD 2DR Blazers had an injury loss rating that was around average (for instance see http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/ictl_pdf/ictl_0904.pdf ). Many cars had far worse than average ratings (older Corollas for instance). Injury loss ratings are not a perfect indicator of safety. They are greatly influenced by the type of people who drive the vehicles (I think it is fair to assume that the smaller and cheaper a vehicle, the more likely it is to be driven by an inexperienced driver). However, all thing being equal, if you are in a collision between an Expedition and a Mini, which vehicle would you rather be in? If you say the Mini, you are an idiot. The Mini is just about the safest small car with an injury loss rating better than average. But it is still likely to come off second best in a collision with any mid size or larger SUV. See http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/ictl_pdf/ictl_0906.pdf .
Ed

That's BS, The Infinity G35 and the BMW 7 Series are far safer than ANY SUV.
http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4204.pdf
If SUVs were as safe as SUV owners think, then all the top 10 safest vehicles would be SUVs, but they're not, no SUV's in the top 3.

And if anybody knows BS Sally does ;->

LOL....you are so full of s*&^. The safest vehicle in the list you cited is a Chevy Astro Van (by a very wide margin). Seven of the top fifteen were SUVs, and two were mini-vans. Tweleve of the sixteen vehicles with the highest driver death rates were cars, two were SUVs and two were mini-pick-up trucks.
The reference you cited is not the best source of information. It is based on driver deaths per million registered vehicles per year. It doesn't factor in miles driven nor can it factor in driver experience. So expensive luxury cars driven fopr a few miles per yeas by experienced older drivers and crappy vans that are in the shop most of the time look pretty good becasue they aren't driven as many miles as smaller cheap cars driven by daily young inexperienced commuters.
The injury loss rating are a better (but still imperfect) indicator of safety. You can also find driver death rates estimated by vehicles miles, but it usually older data (ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/fars/2006/DBF/ for instance).
Ed
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 07:52:15 -0400, "C. E. White"

Well noted, Ed. People don't realize that the IIHS stats are collected used for different purposes than deciding which car to buy. They often reuse them in very incorrect ways.