my first car

I agree with all the excellent posts and suspect that you are listening. I encourage you to read this forum and continue your research, it is a LOT cheaper to learn about problems of others rather than those you suffer yourself. There are many good books and the Internet has tons of free information. Keep a directory on your hard drive for all the information you will collect and for the contact information of suppliers. Collect all the FREE parts catalogues that you can so you have current information of parts prices. Join the local Vette club and meet the members, they probably know all about the local dogs to avoid (and the local flip artists and known crooks) and will also be the first to know when a good car becomes available. Offer to help owners work on their cars.

As an apprentice with no experience, you will be on the bottom of the pay curve, you will probably change employers several times and as you gain experience will see your pay rates increase rapidly but there will also be large demands on your resources to cover the purchase of tools and for the completion of your schooling. You will see periods of under or unemployment. You will need reliable and cheap transportation and pre85 Vettes tend to use LOTS of gasoline. At this stage of your life you will probably also be moving out on your own and will be changing your address frequently, few of your homes will have good places to store or work on a project car and moving is not easy. You will also be learning about girls and alcohol both of which are expensive and do not mix well with horsepower and gasoline.

After a surprisingly few years you will have completed your apprenticeship and will be making a very good wage, will have purchased your needed tools and hopefully have resisted (not so) easy credit and will have saved a substantial amount of money, and will be in a position to purchase a much better car. Hopefully you will have also have learned something about girls and alcohol and will be more mature and better equipped to deal with the added responsibility of horsepower.

Continue to look at all the available cars and develop some personal WRITTEN checklist forms to use to evaluate them. Keep a file including the serial numbers and contact information about the owners. There are not that many good cars out there and they do not change hands often, most of what you find will be the least desirable cars which are looking for an uninformed sucker who will jump for the first available car he sees. The poor cars churn much more often than the good ones. After you have carefully evaluated a LOT of cars you will find that it gets a lot easier and you will know what to look for and will have seen a lot of problems. You will have also learned to exercise restraint and how to keep your money in your pocket and walk away. You will also notice how fast the price comes down when the seller is negotiating with your back as you walk away.

Remember always, that the best value is always to buy a really good car and that 'you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear', or 'you cannot restore low mileage back into a poor old car', or 'it costs twice (or more) as much to make a #3 (or even worse a #4or5) car into a # 2 than it does to just buy one that always was a #2.

After you have done all the above homework, you will recognize the car you want easily from 50' away, and will know how much to offer to pay for it. Never underestimate the value of cash or a REAL offer, sellers of old cars do not see much of either.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

'I'm sixteen and looking for my first car, I've seen local ads for a '74 and a '79 corvettes priced at $5100 and $5800. In the ad for the 74 is says it needs brakes, a rear bumper, and has splits from the sun, the 79 ad doesnt say much but high mileage. I go to school and have a part time job, not much experience, with that said i ask what should i look for when buying? what am I getting into? and is this a good idea? thanks for help Cam'

REPLY: I suggest you do not get into Corvettes yet at your age ; 1. Your insurance will be astronomical at your age. 2. It will be a danger to you given the power that even a 1979 has for a 16 year old boy. 3. It will be a money pit , both in parts and gas mileage. In light of the way gasoline prices are going, you need to look at an economy car for your first car and have it checked out good before you buy it so you know what youre getting into.

Reply to
dave

Cam,

I couldn't agree more with what Dave said. I've had Corvettes for years, and I've also had teenagers. I managed to talk them both away from expensive exotic cars. Now, they are in their 20's, and they are both glad that they waited before buying too much car. The funny thing is that they each had the same old Buick as their first car. They both remember it with good memories.

As Dave said above, insurance (if you can get any) will be very expensive. Talk with an agent before making any decisions. A set of tires can set you back over $1,000.00. Newer Corvettes need new tires every 15-25K miles. Every thing about the Corvette is expensive, and the neighborhood mechanics usually are not competent to work on one.

If you really want a Corvette, then be patient. Drive something inexpensive and reliable for a few years. As your driving experience increases, and your finances become more reliable and robust, the Corvette will still be there. It is a great car, and well worth waiting for.

Reply to
JimH

you can take my word for it.

90% of them are just as EASY to steal...
Reply to
'Key

thanks for the advice, i appreciate it

just remember, when I said "at first it was a money pitt" I meant just that !

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

sure you would ! just remember this, (you pay to play)

Reply to
'Key

ya make a vette resemble a harley davidson. hd use to stand for "hundred dollars" now its just plain "high dollar"

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

"Cam F" < ...

and is this a

Buy a vette !!! Its what you want . When I was 18 I bought a 66, I made payments and I couldn't afford anything else, except beer. But I never regretted it Drive safe

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan!

Reply to
Jon

High school mourns for its two seniors killed in Dix Hills crash (involving a high performance car) ---

Address:

dave

In my day, it was the kids in little economy compact cars that were killed in crashes. My friends and I all drove rear drive V8 sports cars (Firebirds, Mustangs, etc). A few went into a ditch backwards but always walked away from it.

Besides, Cam is talking about a '79 C3. It's not exacly a powerhouse. They're rated at, what, 180HP? And it's a big heavy car with an 800 pound front mounted cast-iron battering ram.

Potentially the best part of it is the car > High school mourns for its two seniors killed in Dix Hills crash

All they said was "2007 BMW". Not that there's enough of the car left to tell, but it could have been a 318 for all we know. Stupidity would have happened regardless of the type of vehicle they were driving.

That reminds me of a crash down the road from my house when I was a kid. Two highschool kids in a little foreign car. Both stoned. Ran through a stopsign at a dead end intersection and hit a dirt wall - at

90MPH. They hit so hard it ejected their eyeballs from their heads (so we heard). Both DOA.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I can agree with you here, when my son was just driving, we gave him a 79 El Camino. After that he had a Porsche 914. He told me recently that he believes he didn't get in much trouble because he never could carry around a bunch of kids. It's funny, but that's the reason I told my wife why I bought him those cars.

Reply to
Charlie

For the same reason, my brother and I both learned to drive in a Ford truck - standard cab, bench seat, short bed, step side. Only holds three people.

One time in highschool, a friend of a girlfriend needed a ride across town. She was a cheerleader. And four of her friends needed to ride along. They were cheerleaders too.

Five hot girls and me, on one bench seat. It was truly one of the greatest moments of my life.

-rev

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to
'Key

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

I was in a head-on crash in a new (one week old) 72 vette. we were going 70 that the other car (70 nova) was going 40. if we were in another car (not fiberglass) we probably wouldn't have made it. the fiberglass gave and took a lot of the impact. GM took that car back to study it..

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

one could put a "bunch of kids" in the back of a 79 El-Camino :-)

Reply to
'Key

Yeah, but with the bed cover, they'd be packed in like sardines...

Reply to
Charlie

ya never said it had a bed cover :-)

Reply to
'Key

Well, nobody asked. I still have that car, it has the bed cover and the original leather toneau cover it came with. I have both off right now because I use it to pickup remodeling material. My son used it to carry his musical equipment, the bed cover locked and I made it so the toneau cover went over the top to look pretty stock. It's a Royal Knight edition, but I upgraded the small V8 (265 cu in) with a 350. When I get done with the remodeling, I plan to redo the rest of it.

Reply to
Charlie

well, the fact that it had a bed cover makes all the difference, back in those days, I remember kids/adults (without bed covers piling their friends in the back). especially at the beach.

sound like ya got a nice one to work with.

g'day

Reply to
'Key