Need Help!

Anyone out there have any good tips as to how to remove the brake power boost on an '81? It appears that the 4 mounting studs come through the firewall from the engine side. Almost impossible to get at short of removing the dash. Don't want to do that.

Golden '64 Coupe '78 Silver Anniversary '81 Coupe.

Reply to
garygolden

The mounting studs should not turn when you turn the nuts. If they do... you'll need to get at the backs "somehow". Good luck.

-W ('68)

Reply to
Clams Canino

So far I've not been able to even get a wrench on the nuts on the mounting studs. I've removed or loosened just about everything short of removing the entire dash. I can't believe that you have to do that just to change out the power booster.

Reply to
garygolden

I used one of those flex shaft sockets to get to the one's on my 93, it was still difficult, but it worked.

Reply to
Charlie

That's just part of being a mechanic, some things are not easy. When that car was built there were parts put on first and parts that were put on last. Not many of the parts that fail can be changed standing upright beside the vehicle. Remove the seat, steering column, and anything else that makes it a bit easier as seldom is the repair the removal of just the failed part.

Reply to
Dad

Heh.... if he really wants to live... he outta try removing the trailing arms, or the heater core.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino