Need tires, 74 coupe,suggestions?

Time to replace my tires, 74 coupe, BB 4sp totally stock. Currently have old TA's. How big can I go? or better yet how big is too big? Thanks for your
help
Jasen
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:02:30 GMT, "Jrama"

in todays sizes...
255x70's rubbed on the front frame of my 79 & 72 when turning just cleared on my 76... that size fit on the rear of all of them...
235x60's worked on all of them BUT just looked way too little (short) on the back of all of them (wheel well looked like it was half full...or should I say half empty...)
I now just run 225x70's (stock size) on all of my C3's... and say the hell with it...
Bob G. 64 72 & 98 Verts 76 & 79 Coupes
I have BFG 255x70R15's all around on my 1970 BB ; no rubbing -- all depends on how your car sits. The BGF TA's are a hard tire...i used to have them. If you go with the standard BFG's youll notice a much softer and quieter ride (if thats to your liking).
Dave
I beg your pardon...they are 255x60R15's....not 70 series.
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:54:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Just curious "cause I do not need "Tars" yet....
How much clearence do you have between the top of the rear tire and the lip if the wheel well in the rear....? all of mine have have so much that the wheel well looks empty with 60 series tires...
This is true even 3-4- or 5 years after I replaced the rear springs used fiberglass springs in 2 and Steel in the 3rd.
The ass end on all three were adjusted to the correct height accoridng to the assembly manual..
Bob G.
'I beg your pardon...they are 255x60R15's....not 70 series. =============================== Hey Fast79......... Just curious "cause I do not need "Tars" yet.... How much clearence do you have between the top of the rear tire and the lip if the wheel well in the rear....? all of mine have have so much that the wheel well looks empty with 60 series tires... This is true even 3-4- or 5 years after I replaced the rear springs used fiberglass springs in 2 and Steel in the 3rd. The ass end on all three were adjusted to the correct height accoridng to the assembly manual.. Bob G. '
REPLY: Bob, With my 255x60R15's, id say i have 1 " of clearance. This may be due to the TRW Composite Spring i have on the back suspension. On the fronts, i have a little less than 1"..but still no rubbing when turning or going over a bump.
My '79 had about 4 inches top of tire to fender with the 255/60-15s on it.
Of course, you have to remember that the '73 up cars sat higher for federal bumper laws. Part was by rubber body cushions that lifted the body about 3/4 inch and part was by springs.
If you use pre-73 springs (hard to find) or custom fit the springs in front and use the longer spring bolts in back, you can bring the car back to the true C3 Corvette ride height we all grew up with.
(dave)

A guy named Kelly Smith here used to autocross a '74 big block all the time and ran 255/60-15s on it. Have a look and see how they look to you.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3456/pictures/comp99/kellys-1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3456/pictures/comp99/kellys-2.jpg
(dave)