New MSD Optispark

Just found out that MSD has a new design Optispark for the 1992-94 non vented Optispark cars..the new unit is a direct replacement and is VENTED....should be available in a couple of weeks...List about $712...but selling currently for $499.also is supposed to be super hi performance design..includes cap and rotor + all installation hardware.and vent tubing.....also has adjustable timing for those that need it..

Reply to
grayfox

The redesigned Optispark has been out for years.

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
RicSeyler

When the one on my '94 Firebird grenaded, I replaced the distributor with a 94 unit and used a vented cap from a newer model. The vented cap plumbed into the airbox behind the air filter. Then I drilled a hole and JB-Welded a vacuum hose pipe into the distributor housing. The other end plugged into manifold vacuum. This kept a stream of clean dry air flowing through the unit at all times. Just in case, I sealed every joint with permatex. Cost about $300 total.

Of course, my '91 Corvette has the distributor on top of the engine where it's supposed to be.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

ROFL!

I had a Vega long ago (go ahead, laugh) that had some of Chevy's finest engineering. The alternator was mounted low and was flooded every time you hit a big puddle. You hit water, the gauge would swing over to discharge, and then after a few minutes it would dry and go on. Obviously, an alternator was not designed to run underwater, so eventually, it would die.

It was a common problem, and the Chevy guys who put it there were obviously retired by the time the new guys put the Optispark down there like that.

Stupidity, it runs in circles.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Microsoft does it too -- they call it "innovation."

Reply to
PJ

==================== My Neighbor retired 2 years ago after 30 some odd years from GM AND he always bitched about how they ( The engeneering boys) were handed the car fron the "Styling Department) were told to "fit everything inside"......He is a "car" guy and works on his own cars But he understood why GM sometimes "stuffed" something in the most Gawd Awful Places...never stopped him from useing soe colorful words however.

Bob G.

.
Reply to
Bob G.

I have a friend who is a retired Chevy test engineer. He said the only difference between him and me when working on these cars is that he cusses them by name.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Reply to
RicSeyler