Newbie Questions

Ok, I admit I have the bug for a corvette. (Actually I've had it for a long time!)

Anyway, I'm interested in C4 (basically, because this is the price range I can afford... around $12000)

Which years are the best in this range? I would want something reliable. What mileage would be the max before I would start having problems??? I want a T top.

Thanks for your advice...

BTW, is there a good site that shows C4 pictures for comparison?

Reply to
redranger69

I think the prettiest of the C4's both inside and out are from

1993-1996 onwards...

The earlier c4s look a little flimsier than the later c4's

Engine wise, I am not the person to ask..

I generally found c4s a bit wierd because of the digital dash. But if you're from the Knight Rider generation, then you'd get a real kick out of the digi-dash.

Reply to
E_Tar

those later c4s are good value for money though !

Reply to
E_Tar

My 93 only has a "partial" digital dash. Only the speedo and driving computer are digital. The tach, temp, voltage, etc.. are all normal analog gauges. the fuel is a bar graph under the speedo. I like the digital speedo, but I hate digital tachs, I had a car with one of those and hated it for sure.

The best engine is the LT4, but I find my LT1 gets up and goes just fine and with 125K miles it runs like new. I have made a couple of upgrades but nothing radical as the C4 is my daily driver.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Willson

My opinion : Stay away from the 1984 . Stay away from the 4 plus 3 trans . which is common to 1986-1988 (?) --- for these years, go automatic. The LT1 motor found in the early 1990's vettes , is a nice reliable motor and strong. For $12 k. in good condition , youll be looking in the 1985-1992 category most likely.

Regards, Dave

Reply to
dave

Reply to
RicSeyler

I picked up a 1992 for 8500.00 about two years ago with 54,000 miles on it. For 12000.00 you should be able to pick up something nice in the mid

90's. You just gotta watch out for the optispark. Nice invention but lousy location.
Reply to
benf802961

'I picked up a 1992 for 8500.00 about two years ago with 54,000 miles on it. For 12000.00 you should be able to pick up something nice in the mid

90's. You just gotta watch out for the optispark. Nice invention but lousy location.'

REPLY: You got a VERY good deal . Especially if it was in reasonable condition with everything working. I agree on OptiSpark.

Reply to
dave

=========== I do own a 95 black on black 6 speed with both tops now with 70k on her clock...

She has her fair share of stone chips on the front end (normal for c4's) car has been absolutely reliable..NEVER had to replace a thing except belts, tires, brakes, and a couple of light bulbs...

BUT I do not think I could "easily" get 12,000 for it ...I really do not....and the trade in value is most likely less then 10 Grand

But back to your question.... No C4's had t-tops...all coupes had a single roof panel..some came with both a glass and a solid panel...

Engines: 84's ran the crossfire 85 thru 91 had the L98 92 thru 95 had the Lt1 96 had both the Lt1 and the Lt4

In My humble option all are just fine... L98's had a lot of low end torque which made them feel great (very powerful) at stop signs... but they ran out of breath rather fast.... Lt1 (which I have) kind of lacks the low end feel of stop light to stoplight power...but kicks in and pulls good at about 3ooo rpm's...and it does not quit unless you hit the rev limiter in a gear (which I have done) ...The Lt4 is a winner...period...personally I think it felt better (power all the way thru the rpm range) then the LS1 in the early C5's.... I really like the Lt4

on the 4+3 tranny's I ..again..personally would have no problem with one...and I would rather have a 4+3 then an automatic anyday...

Styling was altered (rounded off) as the C4 aged... 91's were the first to get rounded front and rear ends and were the last of the L98 cars ...and for that reason I am partial to them...

Downside of C4's.....flexible frame ...(I do not remove the top on my

95) just do not like the feel of a flexible frame under me... I can live with the feel with the tops on just fine... Getting in and getting out. of the car is NOT real easy (I am 6'1 and "only" 220.) I have to really work on getting out of the car...the bottom edge of the door is about at ASS level when you close the door...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

How bout the Later C4 "Shin" I can't tell how many time I have banged my frikkin shin on the left point of the dash fascia on entry.

I am also 6'2" over the years I have devel>

Reply to
RicSeyler

I have to say that I really don't like the c-4's crossfire. its a pain in the a*s when it has problems. I am in the process of replacing the crossfire with a different intake, distributor and moving to a carb.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

its customary to use Content-Type: text on a text only n/g not Content-Type: text/html

Reply to
'Key

my bad, I take that back.. missed what you were commenting on. ya didn't use quotes.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
RicSeyler

Byte me!

Reply to
Dad

All single and duel roof panels are both called T-Tops the T stands for Targa....

1968 to 1982 Pontiac almost beat Chevrolet to the Coke bottle design body, with their 1965 Banshee, a two seater convertible sports car that would have been hefty competition for the Corvette. GM stopped it, and then Pontiac president John DeLorean later became president of Chevrolet.

T-top does not refer to the shape of the roof, but rather it is short for Targa Top. The original design was a pure Targa but body flex demanded the center bar, discovered late in the design.

Reply to
ZÿRiX

I stand corrected ...& learned something new today...

I never heard of the single removable roof refered to as a T-Top.. only the dual panel removable tops....

Never too late for this old fart to learn something new...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:38:06 -0800, ZØRiX puked:

Interesting bit of trivia...

lab~rat

Heres some good history info on corvettes in general.

Idavette is also an excellent source..

Reply to
E_Tar

Nice link. I know the Corvette is not a Lamborghini, a Porsche or a Ferrari, but my Corvette is the most fun I can afford. Yes, I could take the money I'm going to put into it and buy a C5 or eventually a C6, but I've made a commitment to this one car, and in 10 or 15 years it will be showroom-new and, I hope, a family heirloom. In the meantime, if you're in the left lane, get out of my way. :-)

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan