News group or private forum?

Page 1 of 2
You have probably seen several posts on here about JLA Enterprises forums. I decided to check on one of the pictures he was posting. I found it an interesting surprise and you might, too. Go to
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f
You will find most of the news group in web forum format. Basically, his forum is a copy of this news group. Now I understand places like Google archiving this stuff for searches later on, but this has a look like Corvette Forum with ads and such and looks like a live forum, but most is simply this news group.
Not sure if I like having my comments plastered on someone's private web so they can make money off of my free advice.
As Tom in Missouri so eloquently stated:

You know...that's almost creepy.
Copying newsgroup posts into a forum!!! WTF???
And... I'm sure plagerism to some extent.
--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."

Creepy is the right word! Some of us "old-timers" will recall chasing JLA out of here a few years ago for this very reason. I kept a file on this guy at that time and his name is Jim Adams, JLA Enterprises Technologies Integration, 12100 Bedford Wds Dr. #209, Raleigh, NC 27614 (919) 488-3415. The guy has serious issues and I'd suggest he be placed in your killfile.
Oh, give me a friggin break. What a bunch of whiners.
What is so "creepy"? There are PLENTY of sites that mirror this news group or "copy newsgroups posts into a forum" as the previous poster said.
Check
http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.corvette/latestposts.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/-forum-53.html
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-corvette/200504/1
http://www.newsbackup.com/forum-34.html
http://www.news2mail.com/alt/autos/corvette.html
http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?s |b590e810e1926cae5257ba973941db&f"
Among many others.
Tom wrote:

As Richard Padilla so eloquently stated:

Wow... you took some offense to our post against such practices?
It just seemed odd to have seen my posts mirrored like that. But I suppose you don't mind having someone make money off your intellectual property. So be it!
I'm done with this newsgroup. It's been fun guys!
--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
I think it is time to go look up VetteNet again. Being an email list meant I used to get a ton of mail each day, but at least it isn't copied into every private forum everywhere. Non-commercial, independent, and not monitored by someone who is affiliated with certain companies.
Here's the webpage that tells how to get on the mail list. http://vettenet.org /

puked:

I find it interesting that everyone is all surprised that what is sent in a public forum turns out to be public. Seriously, how does any of this diminish the use of this group or the reputation of its posters in any way? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Let's do this in a way you can relate. Pretend you are a freeware software writer. You write this really neat program, maybe an operating system or an office application.
Along comes Microsoft, who instead of working and creating their own, takes yours for free and begins selling it.
Would you be happy?
JLA Enterprises and others are essentially selling our material. Maybe not directly, but indirectly, by selling advertising space on a website that features nothing but our material. If it wasn't for our material, JLA Enterprises would not be getting any advertising dollars because there would be nothing there.

I wrote to JLA and told them what they had done to this group and how reprehensible their practice is. Oddly, I haven't gotten a response from them.

puked:

I understand your point, but you weren't expecting to be reimbursed for any of this from the onset, and clearly this is a public forum. By participating, we have all given anyone our tacit agreement to use the information disseminated here as they see fit.
All of this information is achieve in Google and conceivably someone could write a book with the information from this group, and no one here would have any recourse due to the public nature of usenet.
That being said, perhaps less people would take exception to this deal if JLA came in here and explained what he intended to do, and asked our opinions.
I just hate to see a good forum manipulated by an outside non contributor. This group CAN function as it always has, regardless of whether JLA exists or not. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
There is a big difference between helping someone for free and having someone take your free stuff and sell it.

************ It's simply another way to access the (readily available) information. Actually they're not selling the info, they're selling the access. (at least I'm sure that's what lawyers would say - would love to hear from them) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"
If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.
This is from another post I addressed specifically to the crabby old guy in Missouri (Oh, and yes I may be old and mexican, but I am not crabby)
Apparently it is lost of some posters what a USENET group is and how it works?
Alt.autos.corvette is not a website nor managed/governed by anyone. It only exists because the 10's of thousands or millions of NNTP servers across the globe have decided to carry the group and then make it available to their subscribers via newsreader or web access (wait...would that mean they are making money off of you?) Some keep your posts on their servers forever, some remove them after a week. Google keeps them forever.
That is it. If you do not want your post to appear on servers/sites that carry the alt.autos.corvette USENET group, then do not post anything and quit your crying.
It seems as some here are acting like JLA or other sites are copying your oh so valuable words and claiming authorship or whatever. If that were the case, I would understand the complaining a bit more. But I took a look at their (JLA) site and all of your names and words appear there just as they do on Google, my newsreader and the other sites I previously listed.
The JLA people are not doing anything any different than Google, the other sites I mentioned or the company that YOU have access to this group through. They provide access to the group for you to read and or post the material. Some make it available for free (Google/JLA and some of the others) and some charge for the access (most ISP's as part of your internet subscription, and some websites as a subscription for bandwidth and other access related fees (see GUBA or other paid USENET feeds, etc.) Either way it is all the same, just different ways of accessing it.
Now put some Bengay on your complaints and lets get back to talking about Vettes.

discussing, Richard?
One of the more interesting aspects of this JLA Forum and JLA Enterprises is that this thread does not show up in their forum. Pretty well shots Richard's theory that it is simply a mirror site like Google. http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f Anyone see the thread of News Group or Private Forum?

puked:

Heh, I imagine slamming the site in your sig line would exclude you as well... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:05:33 -0700, "BDragon"

Since I'm afraid I may be the next one to be asked this question and I have yet to formally introduce myself to this group, forgive the binary.
If I were someone that likes to lie on the innernet, I could say that they are all mine, but the fact is the SS is the only one I currently own. The other two belong to my folks.
My mother purchased the '74 new in October of 1973. When she dies, it'll be mine >:-)
I'm currently playing with a '66 El Camino with a 327 three on the tree. My next toy hopefully will be a C2. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

I'm sure some will rejoice but this is my last post, I will not be associated in any way with JLA Enterprises Technologies Integration.
You guys take care an save the wave!
Dad
Why was/is Dad so against JLA? Being a recent newbie, I'm not aware of any past history. I'm not sure I like JLA doing what they are doing, but don't think it's illegal in any way. Immoral, maybe.
He will be surely missed.
TomC '90 ZR1
Dad wrote:

If you are a newbie, please do not turn into a complainer like some of these other old men. We have all been here since the crack of time and for some of them, old habits die hard.
As far as Dad...who knows what his problem is. Maybe it is aching joints and his ol lady isn't putting out anymore. Seriously, I do not know what his JLA problem is and I don't care.
As far as it being "immoral" about mirroring a newsgroup, then perhaps all of these are guilty of the same thing? Yeah right.
GOOGLE? http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.autos.corvette?hl=en
Also check
http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.corvette/latestposts.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/-forum-53.html
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/chevrolet-corvette/200504/1
http://www.newsbackup.com/forum-34.html
http://www.news2mail.com/alt/autos/corvette.html
http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?s |b590e810e1926cae5257ba973941db&f"
Among many others.
I actually prefer the web format instead of traditional news reader format. I think they are much easier to read and far better organized in web/forum format.