News group or private forum?

Page 2 of 2

Isn't that odd Richard - I don't recall seeing you here until recently. Perhaps you could favor us with a Google link to one of your "Old" posts, just to verify the veracity of your statement?

Spoken as we might expect from an AOL user. You're used to such nuisances! *LOL*
Richard Padilla wrote:

Richard:
I promise you won't hear any whining from me. Unless it's a from a GM 6-71. :-) By then, of course, I'll have already passed you by. Besides, although my new to me '90 ZR1 is my first 'Vette, it is by no means my first muscle/sport car. I figure the guys in here will certainly save me time and frustration with my new toy.

It sounded to me like there was some kind of serious past history. Was just curious.

TomC '90ZR1
I think that, for those who have been around the Usenet since its early days, there's a certain feeling of charity and public ownership that gets chaffed when a commercial site gobbles up the content and contributes nothing to the discussion. If it were mirrored in total, I'd be tempted to just view it as an alternative portal (like an alt or fido list) and accept the ads as paying for the cost to covert it to a different format.
Problem with most conversions is that they fail to show entire posts. Some conversions intentionally or accidently delete entire posts during the conversion. This seems to happen in threads that encompass several weeks. I think that's a bit shoddy in a technical forum. Further, when opinion within a thread get's "fractured" it may not represent the author's intent. Dad, bless him, taken out of the context of the thread might not come across the way he intended -- and I think that's a very valid concern for anyone who's gained some respect for his or her experience and is quite candid in writing Usenet posts.
For those who have strong feelings about mirroring, copyright all of your posts. (and save them with the 'intent' of writing a 'how-to' book) And, when you find them pirated, hire a local attorney to write the portal a 'strong letter.' Next step is a strong letter to the portal's host.
Paul H.
Richard Padilla wrote:

http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?s |b590e810e1926cae5257ba973941db&f"
Well, the biggest site of them "Google" that does this seems to have no problem retaining and mirroring groups in total.
I guess it would all depend on the particular portal's policy and ability on article retention. If a portal didn't have a large retention capability (it seems that most advertise a retention of anywhere of 1 month to 1 year - with Google being the exception at forever) and they just picked up posts blindly - well thread fracturing could be a problem. Having worked with a BB software systems myself (VBulletin - Invision etc) I do know that most of the major platforms out there only mirror complete threads and drop threads during the mirroring process that do not have an origin post or cannot be matched up with an origin post.
On the copyright issue, I seem to remember back when Deja News was bought by Google there was a big (well depends on who's perspective, but in reality it wasn't that big) stink over USENET copyright and all the USENET posts that Deja had archived being sold for THEIR profit. All in all, about 3000 people made a petition over it and not much really became of it (Google Groups is still going strong.) As with Deja, you can write Google and request that any post that "you" are the author of be removed and they will remove it. There is also the ability to do a cancel message via newsreader which will result in the post being removed from the entire USENET. Keep in mind though that a large amount of news servers out there do not honor the old traditional type of USENET cancel requests so the poster's message will never completely disappear.
The majority of forums/portals have the same policy as Google for removal and many provide reporting/removal request links on each post so if anyone does not want their posts to appear on any particular site most likely all it would take is to make the request on each post and they would remove it. My thinking on this is that if anyone is going to post something on the USENET, they (should) know well and good that it is going to appear all over the world. I guess if it is that important, they could go to all or some of the countless sites that are portals/gateways such as Google and request removal from each - but really if it comes to that much of an obsession for anyone, my advice would be to get a life and a girlfriend!
It's my understanding that this is a public forum available worldwide. If I post something, I expect *anyone* to have access to it - forever. If someone posts it on a website in a forum format, I'm sure it's legal & they can get advertisers to pay for their hosting, bandwidth, time, & some profit. If you want your posts to remain your copywrited property, you could always put your responses on your own website & link to it (instead of posting to the group); a copyright notice on the website would be more than sufficiant. Or as someone says you can state that your post is copyrighted material, & may not be copied, reproduced, or published in any way without prior written permission. Then you could probably sue anyone who does so, but I would think you'd get very little compensation other than having your post removed from their website. Maybe if they continued publishing your posts, you could give 'em hell. Any lawyers out there care to chime in? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"
If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.