Not a corvette but need help

I traded in my vw golf to a dealership bout 2 years ago and it was old and pretty beat up. I recently asked if they had records of what happened to it and they said they didn't. I still have the VIN anmd I
want to track it down. What's the best way to go about this? I know a golf might not be beautiful to a lot fo people but it meant a lot to me and I made a mistake when I traded it in and I know it's not a corvette but I read some of your topics and it seems like many of you would have information or advice that would help me. Thank You.
optim13922 wrote:

First, I think your dealership may be bullsh***ing you but what are you to do?
Try running a complete CARFAX report. IIRC, those reports list every change of ownership - not by name but by state DMV that issues the title as well as the type of title. Once you have the last entry for title issuance, contact that state's DMV and inquire on the VIN. Due to the federal DPPA (Driver's Privacy Protection Act)you may not be able to get the owner's name and address but the MAY be able to forward an inquiry FROM you TO him.