Optima Batteries

Anyone have any recommendations for Optima batteries? i.e. what size will fit '95 coupe. Does anyone have one installed in a C4? Here's a link to the pics...

never get tired of looking at this thing, caught myself just standing at my doorway staring at it this morning thinking of somewhere I needed to go so I could take her out, lol)

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

Several folk in this group installed Optima Red Tops in C4s a couple of years ago. Great starting, good cold WX etc. The early Red Tops had a removable shim (about 5/8" thick) on the bottom of the battery. Popping that shim off made it a perfect fit. More recent Red Tops lack the shim and have been too tall to fit under the top bracket and the cruise control servo. Suggestion: Take some measurements before you lay out the $ 100+. Paul.

Reply to
Paul

They don't fit ....!!!!

Reply to
Grayfox

Reply to
RicSeyler

I had a hell of a bad time with one in my '93. I looked online, but the information was contradictory. I sent several emails to Optima, and they eventually said it would fit. When I bought it, the top posts interfered with the cruise control bracket. I sent several more emails, but their typical response was in weeks, not days. I eventually tried cutting off one of the posts. The battery died the next day (stupid, now that I think about it.) I put in a Delco, and it has worked great ever since. I don't think they are worth the trouble.

Regards, Jim Henry

Reply to
Jim Henry

I ordered it from Mid America (a little overpriced) and they assured me it would fit no problem. WELL, I had the exact problem you said, the cruise control bracket sits about 1" too low and hit the + top post. I briefly considered lopping off the post but then modified the cruise control bracket instead. I put a barrel jack on the battery tray sitting on a thin piece of scrap plywood I had, and a piece of rubber bike innertube over the top of the jack for grip and to keep it from scratching, then jacked it up until it was snug. I then removed the screws holding the computer in there and folded it up over the valve cover, and removed the computer tray. Then while jacking the cruise bracket up, I bent it over on the top to keep the cruise diaphram in the exact same position... a little jacking, a little bending. Ends up working perfect, with about 2" of clearance over the top + post, and looks like it was built that way. Oh yeah, and the tray had two itty bitty pieces of plastic along the edge that had to be knocked off... not the edge lip you see but little pieces on the inside, invisible once the battery is sitting in there. It looks like it was made for a C4 now, can't even tell it was slightly modified.

"Jim Henry" wrote in message news:eFL2e.1137$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Zorin Inc.