OT: Any Computer Weenies in here?

I have Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. Now I want to up to Beta 3. The problem:

I deleted the C:\Windows\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$ directory a while back to make room on my hard drive. In retrospect; that was a very bad idea. However, due to removing that directory; I most certainly do not have $NtUninstallie7bet2p$ \spuninst\spuninst.exe and therefore cannot remove Beta2. When I run the Beta3 install; it says I have to remove Beta2. Is it looking in my registry to decide I have Beta2 installed? Is there any way I can do the Beta3 install at this point? I went into regedit and blew away HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} and that did not seem to help. So then I put it back in. I uses WinRAR to unzip the Beta 2 download and rebuilt the C:\Windows\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$ \spuninst\spuninst.exe but when I ran it, it said it wanted to delete Windows XP. So I cancelled out of that.

begin 666 frown.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$``````+V]O8RM_[V]O2'Y! $```,`+ `````/``\```(O MG V9QY,"X6) QBK P?A*E$5BI76/9*:7*K:K"Y^H,CK6^-GPM>U9(T,U-@H- $HP``.P`` ` end

Reply to
Anon

contact Windows

below is from Windows Update / Help and Support

Support for pre-release (beta) software Support for pre-release software varies by product. We strongly recommend that you read the details provided for pre-release software or updates before you install them.

the exact reason I don't mess with pre-release (beta) software

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

Already did that right off the bat - came up empty. All they said to do was run spuninst.exe. I am stuck with this stupid Beta it seems.

Reply to
Anon

Can you use a restore point, or would that eliminate a whole lot of other things you've installed in the meantime?

AJM

Reply to
CardsFan

I did not create a restore point before I loaded Beta2, and have had Beta2 for like six months. God, I am totally screwed; aren't I? I wrote to Microsoft; but they never wrote back. Also, I posted on the Internet Explorer newsgroup; but got no response there.

Reply to
Anon

Unless you have disabled the restore point feature there are more than one that is there to use.

Reply to
Dad

I disabled it a long time ago because I bought an Apricorn. My last backup onto the Apricorn was a while ago; and if I fix it with a restore I lose like 2 dozen software installs and a bunch of data. This horrible nightmare is living proof of "back up often" and "don't delete subdirectories in your windows directory". ARGH!!!! I am stuck with Beta2 for the rest of my life.

BTW - Hey - hot babe of the minute: Julia Stiles.

Reply to
Anon

Dumb question, but have you looked in the recycle bin to see if the stuff (the removal of which is causing the problem) might still be there?

Reply to
WayneC

Been gone for months. I delete my recycle bin every few hours.

Reply to
Anon

do ya still have the XP install ? if so ? get ya another hard drive (they are cheap these days) R&R the drive ya got now and make it a slave drive / install the new drive as your main drive / install XP again on your new main drive / then ya can drag and drop anything ya want from your old drive to your new one. format the old drive and ya got yourself an extra back-up/storage drive.

worked for me my2¢

Reply to
'Key

you are not completely screwed. see my response news:DmUqg.18648$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com

g'day

Reply to
'Key

for six months ?

Reply to
'Key

Thanks. I tried microsoft.public.internetexplorer but I don't think anyone goes there.

Reply to
Anon

Yes.

I have an Apricorn, which actually has a mirror of my hard drive from a few months ago; but I only kept the programs directory and not documents/settings. I would think my registry is the problem here, no?

Reply to
Anon

Reply to
Bob I

I had tried that. It told me to uninstall before I reinstall. This thing is like a bad joke. :-(

Reply to
Anon

I really can't help ya with registry questions. I figured that ya still had the install programs for the programs that you were using and that you could just re-do your personal settings. my advice would allow you to drag and drop any files or documents to the new drive.

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
Bob I

I finally got IE7 Beta 3 installed - Gates should be drawn and quartered. Had to download a tool to rename the IE directory; and then do a reinstall.

Reply to
Anon