OT: Any Computer Weenies in here?

Page 1 of 2
I have Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. Now I want to up to Beta 3. The problem:
I deleted the C:\Windows\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$ directory a while back to
make room on my hard drive. In retrospect; that was a very bad idea. However, due to removing that directory; I most certainly do not have $NtUninstallie7bet2p$ \spuninst\spuninst.exe and therefore cannot remove Beta2. When I run the Beta3 install; it says I have to remove Beta2. Is it looking in my registry to decide I have Beta2 installed? Is there any way I can do the Beta3 install at this point? I went into regedit and blew away HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\ and that did not seem to help. So then I put it back in. I uses WinRAR to unzip the Beta 2 download and rebuilt the C:\Windows\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$ \spuninst\spuninst.exe but when I ran it, it said it wanted to delete Windows XP. So I cancelled out of that.
begin 666 frown.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$``````+V]O8RM_[V]O2'Y! $```,`+ `````/``\```(O MG V9QY,"X6) QBK P?A*E$5BI76/9*:7*K:K"Y^H,CK6^-GPM>U9(T,U-@H- $HP``.P`` ` end
Add pictures here
✖

contact Windows http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 / however, below is from Windows Update / Help and Support
Support for pre-release (beta) software Support for pre-release software varies by product. We strongly recommend that you read the details provided for pre-release software or updates before you install them.
the exact reason I don't mess with pre-release (beta) software
g'luck
--
"Key"
=====

Add pictures here
✖
'Key wrote:

Already did that right off the bat - came up empty. All they said to do was run spuninst.exe. I am stuck with this stupid Beta it seems.
Add pictures here
✖

do ya still have the XP install ? if so ? get ya another hard drive (they are cheap these days) R&R the drive ya got now and make it a slave drive / install the new drive as your main drive / install XP again on your new main drive / then ya can drag and drop anything ya want from your old drive to your new one. format the old drive and ya got yourself an extra back-up/storage drive.
worked for me my2˘
--
"Key"
=====

Add pictures here
✖
'Key wrote:

Yes.
I have an Apricorn, which actually has a mirror of my hard drive from a few months ago; but I only kept the programs directory and not documents/settings. I would think my registry is the problem here, no?
Add pictures here
✖
try reinstall it, then uninstall it
Anon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Bob I wrote:

I had tried that. It told me to uninstall before I reinstall. This thing is like a bad joke. :-(
Add pictures here
✖
I don't care for that Beta stuff as the "learning curve" is too steep. I try to wait till the "big gotchas" are ironed out. Will it let you land a version 6 on it?
Anon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Bob I wrote:

I finally got IE7 Beta 3 installed - Gates should be drawn and quartered. Had to download a tool to rename the IE directory; and then do a reinstall.
01 C5 Coupe Magnetic Red II
✖
Anon wrote:

Only 1/2 as dumb as what I've got. For a new laptop, burned off the Windows backup disk to DVD per instructions then checked how it works -- instruction one, "use the boot floppy....
No floppy drive on this bear. No socket for a floppy adapter. No provision to make a bootable CD.
Redid the effort, this time to CD's figuring I'd get a bootable CD out of that effort. SOS ... "use the boot floppy....
Mickey-soft ain't cuttin' it. This has turned into the most amateurish outfit going. Of course, I could be wrong -- it might be an HP problem.
--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
PJ wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
PJ wrote:

I had a problem somewhat like that doing an XP Pro re-install for my daughter's Stinkpad T43 the other day. I had to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to DVD, CD, Hard Drive (in that order). Dunno why if it had the default of CD it would see something unreadable was in the drive and never try and use the DVD drivers.
Add pictures here
✖
Didn't you hear, he's quitting! On the other hand, Bill didn't delete the uninstaller from your system either. But, good to hear you are operating again.
Anon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Bob I wrote:

Yeah - that was me and my stupid obsessive-compulsive issues with cleaning my hard drive every 17 seconds; but MS really should have made a Beta3 that just overlays Beta2 and does not require an uninstall first.
Yes - he is quitting day-to-day stuff to spend more time managing the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. On top of the already $30 billion in cash they hold for giving to not-for-profit organizations; Bill's bridge and golf friend Warren Buffet is going to feed that foundation over $30 billion more dollars. Even if Bill and Melinda never feed another penny to the foundation (though they feed it a few billion every year at a minimum); they still are required by the US Government to give a pretty substantial chunk of change away each year. That is going to be Bill's new focus. He has a target list of 20 diseases that he would like to see erradicated in our lifetime. I have great respect for how he turned into the greatest philanthropist in the history of the world; and I am rooting for him to actually get those diseases erradicated. I believe AIDS is on that list; and I also believe breast cancer is as well.
Add pictures here
✖

---snip some---
hell, I am retired and now consider myself a "not-for-profit organization". good-buddy bill could send a little this way :-)
my2˘
--
"Key"
=====

Add pictures here
✖

I really can't help ya with registry questions. I figured that ya still had the install programs for the programs that you were using and that you could just re-do your personal settings. my advice would allow you to drag and drop any files or documents to the new drive.
g'luck
--
"Key"
=====

Add pictures here
✖

Can you use a restore point, or would that eliminate a whole lot of other things you've installed in the meantime?
AJM
Add pictures here
✖
CardsFan wrote:

I did not create a restore point before I loaded Beta2, and have had Beta2 for like six months. God, I am totally screwed; aren't I? I wrote to Microsoft; but they never wrote back. Also, I posted on the Internet Explorer newsgroup; but got no response there.
01 C5 Coupe Magnetic Red II
✖

Unless you have disabled the restore point feature there are more than one that is there to use.
Add pictures here
✖
Dad wrote:

I disabled it a long time ago because I bought an Apricorn. My last backup onto the Apricorn was a while ago; and if I fix it with a restore I lose like 2 dozen software installs and a bunch of data. This horrible nightmare is living proof of "back up often" and "don't delete subdirectories in your windows directory". ARGH!!!! I am stuck with Beta2 for the rest of my life.
BTW - Hey - hot babe of the minute: Julia Stiles.
01 C5 Coupe Magnetic Red II
✖