OT: Schumacker battery charger fried ?

I've got an older schumacker solid state 12v charger (model # se 10-52). Once after I plugged it into the electric outlet I touched (by accident and the first time this ever happened) for a fraction of
a second the pos and neg clamps together (I know that's a bad thing). I only saw a small spark at the clamps for a moment. I proceeded to clamp them on to the battery but as I was doing it I noticed the clamp handles (clamps are small light gage) getting very hot and the needle seem to go from extreme reading high ?? to zero. It seemed like the clamp handles were getting even hotter to the touch immediately when clamped to the battery which made me uneasy so I quickly unplugged the charger from the electric outlet. Never remember the clamp handles getting hot when in use.
Is it possible I fried the charger if it's solid state??? No big deal, I'm just curious. I've already replaced it because I'm not going to take any chances and the replacement has a floating charge when in use which I've read here is a good thing.
<Clumsy One> wrote in message

it may have been still hot from when you touched the leads together ? try it again on another battery when it cools down. a floating type charger is better to use any way. personally I use a battery tender because "Battery Tender WaterProof 800 offers 3-Step Charging with "Super Smart" technology. It will automatically charge any type 12 volt storage battery without ever over-charging. Including AGA, SLA, Gell, Flooded, Conventional Automotive and Motorcyle batteries. Brands such as Optima, Hawker, etc. Encapsulated, protected from shock and moisture.. http://www.pacificbattery.com/batterytender0150.html or http://tinyurl.com/2uxgec g'day to ya
--
"Key"
=====

Suggestion: NEVER plug the charger in the AC outlet until after the leads have been clamped onto the battery.
'Key wrote:

Good suggestion.