Overdrive

I have an 84 corvette with a 4+3. My overdrive with disengauge and engauge depending on the coolant temperature. It seems to be around 200 degrees, I have a stock thermostat. I drive on the freeway and it shifts in an out. How do I fix this problem?

Reply to
Leonard

I have an 84 and doesn't do that. sound like it could be a vacuum problem ?

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

The 4+3 should work over 130 degrees F. Are you saying it cuts out OVER 200 degrees, or under?

There are a few things to check:

1) make sure the tranny fluid is fresh and FULL. Low fluid will cause it to shift out 2) Does your OD light turn off? If so, check the overdrive relay. 3) if the light stays on, it's probably in the valve body. Could be the solenoid (which the relay controls) or a stuck valve in the valve body.

This is a start of things to check...

Reply to
larrybud2002

The overdrive works fine as long as the temperature stays over 200. I've had the fluid changed. The OD light goes off when the OD goes off. There's a coolant temp sensor on the front of the block I could replace but the coolant temp seems to be reported correctly. Where is the overdrive relay located at?

Reply to
Leonard via CarKB.com