Overdrive on and off 1984 stick

I have a 1984 4 speed stick. When the overdrive switch is on, it goes on and off. There seems to be no pattern, it is just random. I don't hear any unusual noise nor does the coolant temperture matter. I
checked the relay wires and they look ok. Any suggestions?
Steve P.
Perhaps a loose connection in the wiring?