paddle shifters

Am I correct that "paddle shifters" replace the clutch and stick? Are they also available for automatic trans. as well?
Last, I believe I read somewhere that the 2006 vettes have them but is
this an option or std. equipment? Thanks.
<rob> wrote in message

Paddle shift for the Corvette is 6 speed automatic only, allows shift control up and down from the steering wheel. Option only at a ridicules price that they cut soon after introduction. In GMs case paddle shift has nothing to do with a stick or a clutch. Not sure how any of the car makers have eliminated getting the car in neutral as you would be suggesting by eliminating some type of clutch mechanism.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
<rob> wrote in message