Paint Gun Pulsing

This is driving me nuts. I grabbed my older Craftsman paint gun to primer a couple of fenders to see how far off the bodywork was. The darn thing keeps pulsing the primer out. I have taken it apart trying to find dirt or debris, checked pressure, readjusted back and forth, and still it pulses the primer.

Air pressure is consistent when partial trigger for just air, but as soon as the primer begins to flow, it is pulse, pulse, pulse.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Not clean enough, go though it again, you got something in your air (siphon) supply.

Reply to
Dad

Check the needle packing and nozzle sealing surfaces also.

Reply to
Marty

Thanks, Dad,

I'll tear it apart again tomorrow and look again. When I first picked it out of the box, I ran some lacquer thinner through to be sure it was clean. When it began pulsing, I pulled it apart and looked but can't find anything. I managed to spray primer enough to see a seam that I shouldn't, and then cleaned it again. Still pulsing on the third container of lacquer thinner.

I guess I'll pull it completely apart to check it all again.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Actually I didn't say that well, there are two things that make it sputter like that. First is a restriction in the siphon tube that chokes out the flow of material, especially primer. Second is the restriction of vacuum to pull the material into the air stream, which can be the same as number one. The effect is that it picks up material until it can't move it anymore and then drops it and you get air only, then repeats itself. You might want to check the pickup tube because some of the reconstituted lacquer thinner will corroide the inside and restrict the material flow. You might need to fly hone the corrosion trees out of the tube to free up the flow.

OMG, I'll never get over that sound, a P51 just went over my house at about

1,000 feet. I'm out of here, forgot about the fly in at the airport.
Reply to
Dad

Dad, you must be really close to me. I had a B-17 from the same event fly right over my back yard. (It sounded pretty good, too, but I concede nothing sounds as good as the Merlin.)

-- V (3.5 miles WNW Jabara)

Dad wrote:

Reply to
Vandervecken

P51D, nice bird also some old trainers but the P51 stole the show, couldn't get close to it. Doubt we are talking about the same fly in, I'm in NW Ohio, (Home of the criminal governor Bob Taft), can see Michigan and smell Indiana. Small fly in, town of 8,000. Flew in a P51C that had a jump seat and he used it as a company plane in the early sixties, owner of Roto Finish out of Kalamazoo Michigan. That is also the home of the Flying Zoo, now called the Air Zoo, drug money (Upjohn), they have all of the Grumman cats, and an F4U among other notable craft.

Reply to
Dad

Ah - somehow I had the notion you were here in Kansas. Sorry. We're having a similar flyin - lots of WW II warbirds - about 3 miles W of here.

Reply to
Vandervecken

Found the problem. A few years ago, my partner in the warehouse we shared used it to paint his race car. He was getting some leaks and he wrapped Teflon tape on some of the joints. Worked ok, but apparently, some of the old tape was hiding in the threads and when I put it all back together, some of the threads of tape were pulling into the paint stream.

Couldn't see them when I cleaned it the first time. I had to use a gun cleaner to clean the threads to get them out.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

The "D" model is the badass version!!

Dad wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler

Dad flew both the C and D model. He was partial to the C, according to him the C was faster and slightly more manuverable since it was lighter. Just his opinion. I had the priviledge of getting up close to several Ds over the years. Awesome aircraft and the whooshing (I can't describe it any better - maybe the supercharger?) sound of the big Merlin at speed is something you can never forget.

Reply to
m-halverson

I was able to get a ride in a "d" model when I was very young, 13 years old, my father who was a CFII and ran a flying service. Pawnees and agcats, plus some 150 and 172 to teach out of, had a friend who had one and I got a ride, I remember how loud it was. but I have always been very partial to the F-82, I guess it is the way it looks. I have always been intrigued by air craft engines, the hot water 12's the big radials, the old rotary's, and especially the Bristol Sleeve valve engines. I wonder how many of the regulars (irregulars) on this group fly? I started when I was so little I had to sit on phone books to see out and pillows behind me to reach the rudder pedals.

Greg, SEL, instrument, A&P and I doubt I will ever hit the 2000 hour mark

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:59:10 -0500, RicSeyler

Reply to
not

To clarify it wasn't this Dad that flew the C & D Mustang, the closest I every got was a Navion. The C was only faster/more maneuverable at low altitudes, then the D took over. The H put them both away but saw very little combat because the jets took over. Tell your Dad thank you for all he did if you can.

Reply to
Dad

well at least the Navion has a canopy, a little heavy, but almost unbreakable structurally.

Reply to
not

Aviation's been in my blood since age three. Ex-Army helicopter pilot (tac & VIP transport), pilot's license 31 years, SEL-instrument, own IFR Cessna 150. Work as a Principal Engineer for Learjet & adore the airplanes... we still build airplanes you can get the hotsies over.

My father flew in WW II, as did several uncles. One died in a B-17 in the Pleoste raid, one flew P-51's in Europe, one told me he flew "P-400's" in the Pacific theater. When I asked him WTF a P-400 was he replied "That's a P-40 with a Zero on its tail!"

Reply to
Vandervecken

One of my all time favorite engineers I worked with had pictures taken out of the bomb bay of a B17 as they finished dropping their load over Germany. Other pictures were on take off and then the bad ones were they were getting the hell shot out of them as they entered German air space and missioned out twice. He still gets up at 5:30 and has completed his SS&S and to the restaurant at 7:00 sharp. He has outlived his wife and 2 children. Sharp as every and always a gentle man with all that he meets and works with. I wonder some times if we would be more like him if we had spent time in an airplane that had .03 aluminum armor to protect us while so many Germans were using us for targets?

This man never met an enemy, always easy to talk with, helped when you needed it, didn't when he knew you could do the job. Seldom talked of "The War" but would answer any question you ask. Proud of what he did but never bragged of the time he spent in combat. One of the few great Americans left and a privilege to know.

Reply to
Dad

Does that put the Warhawk in a leadership position?

PJ

snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

Reply to
PJ