Passenger side door lock on C5-doesn't always work

Page 1 of 2
Seems occasionally the right door won't unlock . Is there a fix for this?

Found this thread
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/44209-automatic-door-lock-inoperable-sometimes.html
On 10/23/2011 3:57 PM, spus wrote:

On 10/23/2011 06:06 PM, Bob I wrote:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/44209-automatic-door-lock-inoperable-sometimes.html
I see this is an old thread and hopefully you've got it fixed now, but GM seems to be completely unable to make a decent power door lock actuator. Lots of problems with these with Impalas, have personally seen it on two different cars (one twice on two different doors) and fleet coordinator at work told me that it happened on lots of them. they just bind up, especially when the car is parked in the sun. Don't know if there is a fix besides replacing the actuator - all of these cars had failures while still under warranty.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

"uncle_vito" wrote in message

I own a 64 C2 which I love. I would like to buy a new Vette but do not have any desire to have to take it to the dealer all the time. Build in some reliability then I will think about a late model.

Same here, just no reliability at all. Back to the dealer 3 times in the first 2 years for their free oil change. Every time I turn around it has to have gasoline, and then it was new tires, Will it never end?
It only has 42,000 miles on it and it's time to get rid of it. Make me an offer like you know what you're talking about so I can get the new generation on order.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
On 11/30/2011 11:18 AM, Dad wrote:

[snip]
Jeez, you guys are such "Doom & Gloomers" Look at the bright side. GM did away with the ash trays now you don't have to worry about them getting filled up <g>
I swear, some folks would complain if they were hanged with a new rope!

I thought the old saying was, "Some people would kick even if they were hung with a new rope". (?)
Thanks for bringing something positive to a negative news group. Poor ol spus didn't even want to take a chance to tell us if Bob I had pointed him to an answer to his problem.
"Dad" wrote in message

I thought the old saying was, "Some people would kick even if they were hung with a new rope". (?)
Thanks for bringing something positive to a negative news group. Poor ol spus didn't even want to take a chance to tell us if Bob I had pointed him to an answer to his problem.
Your experience is certainly assuring -- it would seem that this newsgroup gives a negative cast to more recent Corvette model. My next door neighbor has a C4 roadster which he rarely drives. Heck I used my c3s back in my junior officer days as daily transportation.

I'm very close to driving a flexible flyer today, it's not my favorite Corvette but just think I need another one. Mostly I could use an automatic. ;-))
It's always good to hear back when someone ask about a problem whether or not they got it fixed. My guess is that when they are happy they forget about saying anything like "thank you".

Thank you for your reply (there!) to my question about a C6 and a seatbelt light.
When I went out to check it out turns out that it wasn't a seatbelt light but an airbag light. More of a worry. It is intermittently on (passenger side) and seems to be on more lately. Any ideas?

Thank you helps but knowing that the fix was found is better.
You're right on the air bag, seat belt has nothing to do with it. Did you try to turn off and on the passenger side air bag with your key? It may have been used and just not turned off properly. On my '05 the key switch is on the right hand side of the glove compartment door.
Have you had the car since new?

Yea, since new and never touched that turn off for the passenger's air bag.
Car's got about 30K miles and it sit for half of most every year with charger. I have no issues with anything but lately there are electrical "malfunctions" like the driver's seat not moving to the retracted back position when I shut it down. The airbag started showing up last year just before I put the car away for the summer. Then this year the airbag light problem seemed to be more of an issue staying on at least 50% of the time. If it is just a light being on I am not so alarmed, but if the air bag is actually disabled then it is a PROBLEM.

One of the problems with a Corvette is in your statement, it sits unused. Next is it's ground and other corrosion that creeps into connectors from inactivity. Clean your grounds and protect/clean them with PT-9 Boeshield, it can be found in some woodworking, bicycle, boating, and gun shops. The two main grounds are just forward of the front axle and on top of the frame in the engine compartment, start there.
That same cleaning effort should work if the original poster followed Bob I's advice.

Sounds reasonable.
I'll check it out (locate the connections) in the next couple days and if it is easily accessed I make the fix. If it requires much contortion to reach, it will have to wait as I am a bit sore from a recent roll over accident and am wearing one of those padded plastic neck braces. Got to keep that rubber on the ground............
In your opinion is the airbag disabled by this?
Thanks ahead for the hints, be well.

Can't answer that but I could read the codes with my laptop and tell you what it might be, otherwise you'll have to take it to an auto parts store to get it read. Myself I would worry more about it being activated when it shouldn't, I don't like then and would feel safe without then as long as I was belted in properly.
You will have no problems finding the grounds, with the hood open you could reach both of them without bending over to much.

Always belted, but really want the bags, have some experience there.

Good news, thanks I'll get on it in the next few days.
On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:18:20 PM UTC-5, Dad wrote:

On Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:57:46 PM UTC-4, spus wrote:

My 2000 started to erratically unlock the pass side door then quit altogeth er in 2006. It wasn't critical so I didn't bother to replace the actuator - kind of a pain repair. Then in 2010, it started working again and still does!! What the hell? My 2009 Malibu had the same problem in 2011 and GM replaced he actuator. I think they have some re-engineering to do on these things!