"play" in steering 1976 Vette

How much 'play' is normal in the steering of a '76? Mine has about 5 degrees left and right of center that doesn't do anything. My father in law suggested that it's the Power Steering Selector that is causing this...but i wanted to get some informed opinions! So if anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Penzone

First check the 'rag joint'. In the engine compartment, it's a flexible textile joint about halfway down the steering column. There should be only just a tiny bit of play at this point. Replacing this is cheap (parts How much 'play' is normal in the steering of a '76? Mine has about 5

Reply to
David Lindenauer

There can be some pre-load added to the worm screw to take out the slack but go easy on that adjustment.

Reply to
Dad