"play" in steering 1976 Vette

How much 'play' is normal in the steering of a '76? Mine has about 5 degrees left and right of center that doesn't do anything. My father in law suggested that it's the Power Steering Selector that is causing
this...but i wanted to get some informed opinions! So if anyone has any ideas, let me know!
Brian
First check the 'rag joint'. In the engine compartment, it's a flexible textile joint about halfway down the steering column. There should be only just a tiny bit of play at this point. Replacing this is cheap (parts <$20) and within the capabilities of almost any backyard mechanic, as it requires no special tools nor skills.
Next look for leaks in the power steering actuator (looks like a horizontal piston) or the hoses, as well as around the pump. The leaks will tell you what needs to be looked at next. If it's dirty it's hard to tell; clean it up and wait for the leaks to show.

easy on that adjustment.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51