Please Excuse Me

Greetings, I'll probably get blasted for this post but I'm looking for a forum that focuses on older Corvettes. I have a 78 L82 25th Anniversary that I bought new. It's in great shape and runs really well, but I need things repaired such as AC recharge, ignition and exhaust system upgrades, etc. Any newsgroups etc. that focus on older Vettes and processes for home repair? Thanks, and sorry for barging into your group. Bob from Northern VA

Reply to
Butherus'

I would say you came to a great group of knowledgeable people that focus on all vettes..

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Two Major ones... One completely free and one that costs 10 bucks a year ...

  1. Corvette Forum (www.corvetteforum)...look for the C3 forum its free
  2. The C3 registry (www.C3VR,com) cheapest membership (all the rights however) is only 10 bucks a year...

The C3 registry has maybe 15 different forums all dealing with ONLY the C3 Corvettes... ...seperate forums for electrical, suspension, Engine etc... I will tell you up front that I got so much help from this forum that I wrote a check to become a lifetime Member . Lots of active members WHO know what they are talking about. There are not many problems that someone (usually more) has not run into and solved.

Latest problem I had was a Distributer that refused to work after I put in a new moduel and coil etc.. Just could not figure out what I had done wrong since I had correctly done this many times before. Long story made short...within 3 hours I had 4-5 replies and the car was running perfect...

Bob Griffiths

64 72 & 98 Convertibles 76 & 79 Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

Some here would say yours is not an old car.

Reply to
Private

Your best bet is to go to

and view the C3 forum....unbelievable amounts of information there and you can ask questions without worry.

Reply to
Terry

With few exceptions, most on here talk when talking needs to be done. Hence, you see a low number of posts.

On places like Corvette Forum, many talk to raise their post counts, so you think that there is a lot being said but you really are seeing lots of unnecessary posts.

If you want help, you have to ask here. There isn't much to search for. So if you need to know how to remove the rear end or what distributor works the best, you have to ask. On CF, you can search and find 500 posts on the subject, most of which are the same or TTT or "I agree" or other such waste of bandwidth.

If you had asked for the AC recharge, ignition and exhaust system upgrades, you would have gotten answers.

AC recharge. The R12 is the coldest, hands down. It depends on if you can get someone local to charge it with R12. Otherwise, you have to convert. You can get the kits, but really, in a 30 year old system, you need to replace seals and hoses to get the R134 to work its best, which is still less than the R12 will in the original R12 system.

Ignition. I'm a firm believer in the original GM HEI. You need to find a local shop with a distributor machine and set it up for your best curve. I suggest you go over to the NCRS technical discussion group

and request Duke's remapping scheme so you can get the best out of it for your car on today's gas.

MSD is a great system for racing. It makes a poor system perform when conditions are their worst. However, on the street, if you simply make sure your system is in good condition (new plugs, wires, etc.), then a stock ignition will perform well enough. Usually the advances of the MSD is over a points system. The HEI is already throwing such a hotter spark than the points, you don't have that issue.

Accel and other drag-inspired parts. They are great on the drag strip. I prefer to drive more than 1/4 mile at a time.

Exhaust. The ram horn is about as good as you get. The 2-1/2 inch manifolds with 2-1/2 inch pipes in true dual will open it up as much as you can without headers, and headers will only have an advantage under mostly WOT situations. Or you talking for the street or racing? If street, the stock ram horn, maybe the 2-1/2 inch if you have several hundred burning a hole in your pocket, and true dual exhaust will do all you really want.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

WOT? (Or is that maybe Wide Open Throttle? Which I'm just guessing at.)

Reply to
BDragon

Good guess:

"WOT: Acronym for wide open throttle"

<

and, for the 'tuners' among us:

<

'========================== Sorry guys, got tired of parking lot trivia.

'========================== Whoops: Sorry gals, flashback to my ugly sexist side.

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe

Reply to
PJ

Yes, Wide Open Throttle. I thought that was a given for Corvette guys.

Tired of that Parking Lot double parking, too. Heck, I'm at the point of driving up to Chicago to look for Dave's Corvette just so I can park 20 shopping carts around it. Not touching, as I respect the car. But enough to get the thought across, as I don't respect anyone taking two spots for no reason. Maybe chain them together so he has to figure how to get his car out. :-)

Reply to
Tom in Missouri