Power antenna C4 '95

My antenna goes up but not back down. I think the cable is broken. I replaced one once on my 1987 car, it was a brutal operation. Now I see that there is a mast kit available for my '95 from several sources
but I don't see how you get the old mast out without removing the entire assembly from the car, another brutal operation. Not wanting to waste of a lot of time, could anyone tell me the proceedure for changing the mast?
Take the driver's side rear wheel off and the inner fender cover off to get to the antenna and take the antenna out to take it apart.
Charles wrote:

I say replace the whole thing, motor and all. It's said changing the mast with the plastic gear strip will fix the problem in many cases, but it didn't help me. You can find brand-new mast/motor kits on eBay...
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp
I too have this on my '93, and this is the second power antenna in its lifetime. However I am looking at putting in a hidden antenna and sealing up the antenna hole.
Cheers