power steering cylinder

The end of my power steering cylinder broke off. It snap the thread off all the way to the shaft. I am going to have to get another one (of course),
but any ideas what would have caused this. I do not want to replace it, and have it happen again
Woody,
This is a problem I have seen with several power settring pumps on general motors cars. You have fluid and the pump locked up and the shaft snaped off. Drive the shaft out of the pulley and install a new pump. Be sure the fluid is full and you should be fine for years. Woody wrote:

I would rather think that is a common problem with people running the GM pump without fluid and putting some in when it's too late.