Problem...

Page 2 of 3
Honda Lives wrote:

That's stupid, if you going to buy two cars, you may as well get another 'vette, that way you don't have to stoop to driving a honda.
I think the way this whole discussion is going should be a lesson to put a few smileys and frowns and such in to let a few people know which way they are writing.
And then accept that they are trying to say it that way, whether it comes across or not.
As to the Honda, why not? While we are here because the Corvette is the world's greatest car, how many actually driving a Corvette and only a Corvette and never drive anything else?
Certain Hondas I would entertain. Others, I wouldn't just like certain Chevies and Dodges and so on. Are the rest of you saying you are so narrow-minded that you would drive a Corvette and only a Corvette and never anything else? Going to be real hard getting around on a business trip when they fly you someplace. Heck, I even drove a Mercury Milan about 2 months ago while on business. An ok car, comfortable, ran well, but not my cup of tea.
I thought hard about buying a Honda. A girlfriend had a CRX and it was a fun car to drive. It was the go kart type of cars, like the Austin Mini I had long ago and the Dodge Neon I had. They were small, quick, agile, and could be a lot of fun in traffic if you really needed to get through it.
None of them would EVER replace any of my Corvettes.
And I think that is the point. While it is a great idea to think of driving a Corvette daily and always, sometimes we have other needs. I had to haul a couch in my truck a few weeks ago. It would have been really hard to do in the Vette. But those other needs also raise the specialness level of the Corvette. When I had my '67 big block coupe, I drove it as my daily driver. To work, to school, to whatever. After awhile, it was just a car. I hadn't gotten rid of my '69 Charger and so I began driving it to work when I blew the rear out of the '67.
When I got back in the Vette after two weeks of not having it, it was GREAT!!!!!! And a few more !!!!
Within a couple of months, it was a car again. Since I hadn't been having luck selling the Charger (now there is one I wish I had today, seen the Mopar prices lately?), I stuck some for sale signs in the windows and drove it to work several days a few. The days I drove the Vette, it was special again. Granted, it seemed like there were days in the Charger, I really wished I'd taken the Vette (girl in next car, Ricky Racer in next lane, etc), but when I drove it every day, there were a lot of days nothing made me really want it there. Watching the steam and exhaust blow the 10 inches of snow away from the sidepipes while I cleaned the windows one night was cool, though. :-) <<< There a smiley. I'm laughing. <<<<
Recently, I had a '79 I found. Most will tell you that a '79 is possibly only slightly higher on the Corvette scale than a '77 or '84, but I only drove it on a few occasions, like to run off for lunch, or over to the school PTF once a month, or whatever. And when I did, it felt GREAT! (not as great as the '67, but you get the drift)
So while the idea of daily driver is great, sometimes it is the special driver status that makes it GREAT. And especially if you drive a not so great car in between or a car that is very different. Trust me, cars like a Mini (a real one, not this new BMW copy), a Vega, a Neon, and such, can be a lot of fun, but they are no way a Corvette, however, they really heighten the Corvette experience each time you get in and out of the seat.
And this is from a guy who has only had 5 weeks total of not owning a Corvette in the last 32 years. And those were a long time ago.

Sounds like a good idea. ;-) Bad dreams from blackout drills at home, not as often now but still have them - :-( Evacuation drills at school - :-( Pearl Harbor - :-( Large number of planes flying over day and night to Dayton for dispersement - :-) Bataan - friend survived the death march by eating his own feces, over 200 Lb going in, 90 when found, if you don't chew them you can get 5 or 6 meals for the same cup of beans :-( You know what he drank - :-( Bridge on the river Kwai - death camps - :-( Doesn't even show up in their history and they killed thousands of asians as well as English and Australians. :-(( Okinawa- brother was there, still won't talk about it. :-( Guadalcanal - lost an uncle - :-( Wake Island - Lost neighbor and a cousin - :-( Coral Sea - Uncle lost a leg - :-( Iwo Jima - :-) Midway - :-) Atomic bomb ;-)) Hiroshima - :-) Nagasaki - :-) Rebuild the empire at our expense - :-( Rebuild their manufacturing infrastructure better than ours, thank you Dr Deming and a stupid government - :-( Enter a Corvette news group suggesting I buy a honda - :-( Saying it was a joke ;-? It may have been but it was still a stupid thing to do. :-/ My right to express my own opinion - ;-)) Memories and emotions, what would we do without them? Don't forget to salute the Rising Sun Thursday!!!
Do I hate? No, as long as you don't pick the scab off it don't hurt anymore.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

Good grief! I'll be d*****. I had wondered what was under the hood. Sorry Dad, but it's about automobiles.
Look youngster, I think I lived closer to most of that than you did. Barrage-ballon Site #37 was 100 yards from my house. Three times, shrapnel fell out of the sky at night. Kids dug foxholes and played war. OK to be Germans vs. Yanks. No one wanted to be a Jap.
Blackout was not a drill. We covered all windows save for the bedrooms--every night. We used flashlights with pin holes to find the toilet at night. We had an 'A' ticket for the car -- that got my Mom 2 gallons of gas a week.
Across the street from my school, MGM studio wasn't hidden. It's sound stages were the intended target if the Japanese aimed for Douglas Aircraft-Santa Monica. (which was hidden under netting with fake houses and phone poles on top.)
I was there when my grandmother and two of my aunts earned the title of <gold star mother.> My Dad, a Seabee "visited" seven different rocks as the U.S. clawed its way across the Pacific. Earned a purple heart but he made it back in one piece. I'm very thankful for having him as my hands-on mentor from age 11 onward. Three of my cousins weren't as lucky.
I do not like wars. I gritted my teeth as folks got splattered when I pulled the trigger. I cursed myself when I got sloppy and missed them. I swore when someone else punched a hole in my plane. War happens. When it's over you gotta hang up the jock, wash out the brain as often as possible, and do something else.
In the late '50s I helped train pilots for the JMSDF. Great guys all--superb work ethic and all were great sticks. (However, our riggers had a devil of a time fitting USN helmets to Japanese skulls.) I have no regret about having invested that effort into Japan. I do have some regret with having helped train the Iranians in the early '70s. Work ethic wasn't there and their brains were located somewhere below their belt lines.
It's over -- let go. Pull the scab off and get rid of the pus. It's about cars. Good ones, better ones and fun ones. Life is too damn short to hang on to hate.
When it's habitable back there, go for a ride. I've got the day off and am about to go trade the C4 for the C5 and do the same. 73 deg here right now, wind has died down. We pray that the fire hazard will subside and we won't loose any more fire fighters this year.
--
PJ

Nice summary Tom and I'll rant down below.
Tom in Missouri wrote:

I saw a C4 heading down the freeway for Mexico with a double sized mattress wedged into the hatchback last weekend. Sad sight. Looked away, didn't wave!
But those other needs also raise the specialness level of the

I turned the C4 into a commuter since it was less expensive to operate (at least for two or three years) than the G35X the company had been leasing for me. Better gas mileage and the depreciation on a C4 is all done. It's a helluva lot more fun too--most of the Lexus, BMW and Murano set wouldn't agree but, I was here first and really don't give a hoot.
When I got back in the Vette after two weeks of not having it, it was

That said, I think a good

OK guys, I really can't believe this Honda bashing -- perhaps I'm taking everyone to seriously and this is just a bad joke.
I've been doing this longer than 90% of you--learned to drive in my Mom's car using using a GM 'safety-shift' transmission. What marque & model year ?? Even bet that Dad might not remember.
First hands on with a 'vette in late '54. Had to start dating the local Chevy dealer's daughter to get those rides. Seemed more crude than my MG at the time but was a nice ride.
I've not personally owned a Honda automobile, did own one Honda bike. Both of my kids (who make far more $$ than I and don't mind spending on fine cars) have had at least one Honda in their garages since the late '80s. And models have varied-- CRX, Accords, Civics, Odyssey, & Pilots. It seems that Honda has always built a car to meet their particular needs as they have grown up. (Commuting, camping, hauling the kids etc.) I've driven all of those and occasionally borrowed one for a particular task. I think all those cars have been well engineered to task.
When I travel to the Northwest or to the East coast I'm usually in a U.S. mid, compact or foreign buzz box. But, on rare occasions I do get an older Honda (these seem to appear when Budget or Hertz is low on inventory and when I refuse to 'upgrade' to an SUV; then, tell the counter clerk that I'll wait for a compact or go to the competition.) I find that most Hondas are well balanced in design. They are nimble, quiet, economical and seem to hold up well as they age in the rental business.
Last trip I wound up with a very new, small Chrysler product -- cute, well thought-out interior & stowage; but, horrid transmission, lousy engine control, powertrain mount resonance between 20 and 35 mph, bad engine vibe above 65mph, severe understeer into turns and a roll center that must have been two inches below the road surface (shades of the deux-cheveau). If Walter P. was still alive it wouldn't have had the brand name on it! I'm sure Honda would not have put their name on it.
I think that anyone who says that Honda will never be a performance oriented company has had blinders on for the last 5 years. Open your eyes guys!
Honda grew up in the motorcycle business in the '50s. I brought a Honda bike back from Japan in 1961 and found it well engineered, durable and easy to maintain. While in Key West, it took a heavy pelting from coral dust (we called that 'morral') and I sorrowfully left it there in rather sad shape--but it ran well for the guy who bought it.
During the previous century, many of the better European and Asian automotive engines have sprung from the loins of motorcycle engineering. Honda has been no exception, witness Indy. (Nay-sayers shout that Honda 'unfairly' bought into Indy with their corporate bankroll.) Really?
I'd say Honda 'bought into Indy' with 60 years of engineering dedicated to performance and endurance.
I don't have any rice my garage. My countrymen built me damn fine stuff to fly and those planes brought me back to the 'boat' on a regular basis for over 20 years. I buy the cars my countrymen build (albeit with some help from Canada and other countries). (Hope Waggoner is right on his plug-in hybrid -- I might buy one!)
--
PJ
2-vettes, 1-GMC, 1-Buick

Came out in the mid thirties and died in 1939, Cadillac, Olds, and a few Buicks. The 1929 Dodge I started driving did not have that kind of refinement.

Didn't stoop that far, (oops, should I put a smiley there, nah), bought my own and then started dating a girl from Toledo whose dad bought her one for her birthday, never liked it as it was a lime green. They had a better name for it than that, Cascade Green, in '56.

One of my younger uncles and 2 aunts built trainers and bombers in Wayne, Willow Run. Doubt one of those brought you home but may have helped in some way.
Never doubted the honda for what it is and what it has become and have loads of respect for how he built his company. Just don't need to own one, thank you.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

<snip>
And my Acura TL was built by Americans in Marysville, Ohio. (Would John Wayne tell me to smile when I say that?)
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
P.S. A lot of my friends build Subarus, and soon will be be building Camrys, right in my town. Those jobs are highly sought-after around here.

Snip
Good grief Charlie Brown, by just reading what I type you can form an opinion but I'm not allowed to??
One of the fellows I worked with was from Japan and Kaz and I got alone better than you think I can with an off the wall comment about how we should buy a honda. Even my proctologist knows if he sticks me in the ass he will get a reply.

No, you have no idea what's under the hood, you think what you want but I can tell you in this case you are dead wrong. The group is about Corvettes, not just automobiles, come in and take a swipe at the group topic and I see no reason why I can't take a swipe back.

Was that the night they bombed the whale or just some more friendly fire? I lived by a power dam, much more difficult to camouflage, and those blimps were there for years and that is one of the things I still see in my dream. I have no idea why because I'm looking at it through a hole in my house roof and that never happened. Must have been all of the chatter from the big folk when they got together.

Where the hell did you get flashlights, all we had were kerosene lanterns with shades. No electricity so the blackout rooms were where the lamps were for about 3 years. I now have those coupon books that were left now that Mom and Dad are gone.

I still have one living cousin that refused to take out a kamikaze pilot, with twin 50s, that missed his ship and crashed. Instead picked him up with the landing craft he was piloting and he turned out to be a college graduate from Chicago. He was most helpful as an interpeter plus one hell of a cook as I was told. That's the way I view the Japanese and their culture, helpful to nearly a fault. They just had some really bad guidance plus some very bad times 100 years ago.

You missed my point completely, I dislike and reserve the right to reply in kind, if I choose, when I'm nicked by someone that thinks it fun to come in and jab at something he knows nothing about.

Can you define "habitable" for me, is that with high winds, fires, choking smoke, mud slides, earthquakes, and heavy rains? The only thing I did to drive the Corvette today was add some air pressure to compensate for the 20 degree weather. It has been 3 days since I drove the '72 but now the lawn tractor and the snow plow are both parked in front of it.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Thank you for a little understanding.
I know "Dad" is very respected in this newsgroup but he seems to be a bit grouchy in my opinion. Corvettes are fine cars but no need to think they are the only ones.
And I think you brought up a good point about driving another car makes you appreciate your Corvette more. A very interesting point to consider when buying the Corvette too.
thanks.
<No Vette Yet> wrote in message

I've driven over 60 automobiles in my life, sadly not all of them were Corvettes. Tom and I have disagreed on at least one item that became quite a lengthy discussion in which I learned from, although I still try not to push punctured tire limits like he does. Look it up, something you should be aware of running Runflats on a Corvette. Tom's knowledge will eclipse mine in the engine department and has helped me in the past.

I have mentioned them but never, as I recall, tried to tell someone which they should drive. Never in my wildest dreams or grouchy attitude would I go to a non-related automobile site and tell them to drive something else. Actually the first thing you see is ALT.AUTOS.CORVETTE so my guess would be that it is about the Corvette as that's the only name I see in the subject header.

I appreciate the Corvette for what it is, not what someone else thinks it is. Its value to me has grown for the fifty years that I've driven them and equally as much when I had to drive something else because of financial limits while the family was growing up. The one thing you will find I'm very intolerant about is people that own them just to own them. To me it was never about its status some like to bestow on it, driving it was its reward to me. Few people in my club, 3 out of 56, drive their Corvette year round, equally as few a number scoff at driving them that way.

You can judge me grouchy if you want and if you're around this group very long you will see many trolls, spamm artists, and just plain jerks come and go. Some of that grouchiness was earned by that type of posts and will happen again. Most times I don't reply, just kill file them. With that in mind you are most welcome to this open news group even with the manner you came in and hopefully be able to gain a true interest in the Corvette.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

While not trying to say what Dad thinks or feels, I think he made his feelings quite clear. People with traumatic experiences often have a reason not to do things others can't understand. His experiences with the Japanese and WWII account for that and I didnt know he has them. But I do now and respect his view.
I had a friend who was a POW in Viet Nam. He won't eat Chinese or similar food to this day. Others I knew in Viet Nam love Thai, Chinese, Vietnames and other Asian dishes. It is all about experiences.
I had a great uncle killed on Lexington. Several great-uncles joined the next day to go "kill the japs!" Several of them to the day they died had never owned or used a Japanese car and tried to not have any Japanese-made items. In this world of electronics, though, that has become nearly impossible.

I think driving them is all about choices and desires. I think those that can and do drive them every day are lucky.
To me, it is like chocolate cake. I like chocolate cake, Cut me a big moist piece and you have made a friend. But cut me one every day, and after awhile, I won't want it. Is the chocolate cake any worse? No. I just want a change. or a break. And I also like other flavors of cake. or pie. or whatever. Just not all others and not better than chocolate cake.
And while only my first one was daily driver in that it was driven daily, the others were not stored in barns or garages for months on end. Financial and other concerns meant they weren't the only and every drive I made. I had a Vega for the commute to work and school. I was doing about 400 miles a week for commuting during the gas crisis. I know, it was an outrageous $.60 a gallon. But at the time and with the paycheck, it was significant and so the 25 mpg Vega was the more important choice than the 10 mpg Corvette. Still, the Corvette often made that trip. It probably averaged out to almost 2 days a week over the long run, but by it not being the daily-only car commuter, I got lower insurance, I saved gas money, and I enjoyed it much more.
The same with the '95 Neon I bought a few years ago. I was commuting a 800 mile week. I was getting an oil change every 4 weeks. I didn't want to subject the Corvette to that much mileage. I didn't want to pay the gas for that on the van. What was a benefit was that the Neon handled like a go kart, unlike the wife's Corolla and other small rental cars I had used. So there was still a fun factor. Would it replace the Corvette? No way. Would I recommend one to someone? Sure, if they are looking for a fun commuter. After all, Chrysler built the '95 ACR as a factory race car for SCCA racing.
I was not and am not one of those guys that parks it for weeks at a time, or for the 3 or 4 months of winter. I won't drive it daily in salt-melted slush, but I won't panic because it rained or snowed on me. The only time I really regretted the rain was once while working down in Florida. I got up to go north to see the shuttle launch. I opened the door and it was raining. That was a really drag, as I had spent the day before cleaning and waxing, so I really hated to take the Corvette out and get it wet and dirty. By the time I got up to Cocoa, the sun was up, the rain was gone, and soon I had the top down and having fun. If I had been like many and taken the daily driver, I would have missed out on all of that. Simply over a bit of rain.

Thank you and I'll try to behave myself <grin>. And again I apologize to you and anyone else I offended.
Actually its nice / refreshing to see a person so devoted to their love of cars / corvettes over many years.
Outa curiousity, which one was your favorite and why?
<No Vette Yet> wrote in message wrote:

Snip
That's easy, the one 10 foot from me that I can walk out to and get in and drive. They were all the same to me, in the year they were made they were the best thing on the road. It would be hard to say what a new Corvette owner would feel driving a car 50 years old because it was new when I drove it. Every year they became more comfortable, faster, smoother, more efficient, and just plain fun to drive. Other than that the one with the most memories was the '61, besides being married and bringing my first son home from the hospital I lived in it on the road for a company I worked for at the time.
Yesterday I got caught in a blinding snow storm and was glad it was only 10 more miles to home. Adding to the poor visibility, the low silhouette and being silver makes it hard for other drivers to see. Plus the deer were moving that evening and everything considered I didn't need to be out in it.
When I retired I bought a van to travel in, it has 30K on it and during the same period of time I've put 80K on 3 Corvettes.
Simple answer to your question is that the best one is the one you're driving.

Thanks Dad for the reply.
Sounds like you are pretty brave to drive your Corvette in the snowy conditions but I gather this isn't the first time for you. Now that I live in the south, snow and ice driving is just a memory but I used to live in NY and learned from experience how to drive on both. I don't mind driving on snow if I must but I don't like driving on ice. I have memories of both.
Be careful driving up there and let me shut up and just let others discuss their Corvettes.

OT but I saw a real nice '06 or '07 (not sure) dark blue vette yesterday. I wouldn't classify it as Navy Blue but rather medium to dark blue. I'm not up on the colors offered by Chevrolet right now but as it went by, it definitely caught my eye. I don't recall ever seeing a vette that color before. It was nice looking. When I went home to joke about buying a car like that the same color, I told one of my teenage daughters that I was having a mid life crisis and needed it. She said I wasn't having a mid life crisis but more like an end of life crisis. I don't think she's into sport cars that much. Oh well.
<Honda Lives> wrote in message

if it had to be explained ? you probably wouldn't understand :-)
--
"Key"
=====

I agree but that isn't a problem for me :-) .
<Honda Lives> wrote in message

I was also kiddin :-)
--
"Key"
=====

<Honda Lives> wrote in message wrote:

Guess I can't bite my tongue.... :-)
Don't worry yourself too much about my family starving, there is absolutely no risk of that in this lifetime. Since you are so concerned with my finances, let me set your mind at ease. I have plenty of money to live out my life quite comfortably, and indulge whole heartedly in my hobbies, but I do appreciate your concern.
As to me buying or driving a Honda, that isn't going happen in this lifetime either! I would no more buy or drive a Honda than I would a Yugo or Kia.
There are some things I WILL NEVER do, wear a dress, become a citizen of another country, buy a Honda... etc.
Are you starting to get the picture?