Problem...

OT but I saw a real nice '06 or '07 (not sure) dark blue vette yesterday. I wouldn't classify it as Navy Blue but rather medium to dark blue. I'm not up on the colors offered by Chevrolet right now but as it went by, it definitely caught my eye. I don't recall ever seeing a vette that color before. It was nice looking. When I went home to joke about buying a car like that the same color, I told one of my teenage daughters that I was having a mid life crisis and needed it. She said I wasn't having a mid life crisis but more like an end of life crisis. I don't think she's into sport cars that much. Oh well.

Reply to
Honda Lives

Just thought it strange that someone with no history to his screen name was coming from a noted shill site as most seen to. I check all people I reply to, if they have a history of "humorous" remarks or offer nothing to the site topics I kill file them. Of course you fully intended to be accepted with open arms with your entry remarks and your screen name. There is very little humor in your remark as you well know, it was meant to stir feelings. Most times I give some on the kill file, but not always, and I'm sure you can get along without me just as I can without you.

Reply to
Dad

I was also kiddin :-)

Reply to
'Key

No, I actually thought it was funny to break the ice in a way of speaking. It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously tho you seem to take it literally. And it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you, anyone else nor to dictate what car to own.

I guess you have to have a sense of humor to understand. I wouldn't ordinarily apologize for this but if it makes you happy, I apologize for offending you and anyone else.

Anyway, go ahead and kill file me now :( .

Reply to
Honda Lives

That's stupid, if you going to buy two cars, you may as well get another 'vette, that way you don't have to stoop to driving a honda.

Reply to
Bob I

IF that were the case, you would be a primo engineer!

Reply to
Bob I

Guess I can't bite my tongue.... :-)

Don't worry yourself too much about my family starving, there is absolutely no risk of that in this lifetime. Since you are so concerned with my finances, let me set your mind at ease. I have plenty of money to live out my life quite comfortably, and indulge whole heartedly in my hobbies, but I do appreciate your concern.

As to me buying or driving a Honda, that isn't going happen in this lifetime either! I would no more buy or drive a Honda than I would a Yugo or Kia.

There are some things I WILL NEVER do, wear a dress, become a citizen of another country, buy a Honda... etc.

Are you starting to get the picture?

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

hl, you really should hope he doesn't. because, you will be kill-filed by one of the most respected /vette savvy guys on this group.

just my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Thank you Key for telling me. I don't at this time own a vette (as most probably could tell) but I accept your advice. However I think he probably already has killed me so I'm history. He's probably hoping I'll go away. Well perhaps I'll just lurk.

I hope someday he realizes that my post was meant as comic relief and never a put down on vettes nor a personal attack on anyone. Well I think I apologized enough. If people choose to be angry over that post now, whatever. There's only so many words I can say to apologize.

Reply to
Honda Lives

Yes. I think my father was the same way.

I on the other hand am willing to change as the need fits. If there isn't a need, then I won't change.

Reply to
Honda Lives

Dad also kill-filed me in the past. For some reason he had second thoughts. I am glad he did, because he has helped me a few times with my vette problems. I have an 84 c-4 vette and sure need some solid advice from time to time. This is really a fine group. You will see that, after you lurk for a while.

g'day to you & yours

Reply to
'Key

I think the way this whole discussion is going should be a lesson to put a few smileys and frowns and such in to let a few people know which way they are writing.

And then accept that they are trying to say it that way, whether it comes across or not.

As to the Honda, why not? While we are here because the Corvette is the world's greatest car, how many actually driving a Corvette and only a Corvette and never drive anything else?

Certain Hondas I would entertain. Others, I wouldn't just like certain Chevies and Dodges and so on. Are the rest of you saying you are so narrow-minded that you would drive a Corvette and only a Corvette and never anything else? Going to be real hard getting around on a business trip when they fly you someplace. Heck, I even drove a Mercury Milan about 2 months ago while on business. An ok car, comfortable, ran well, but not my cup of tea.

I thought hard about buying a Honda. A girlfriend had a CRX and it was a fun car to drive. It was the go kart type of cars, like the Austin Mini I had long ago and the Dodge Neon I had. They were small, quick, agile, and could be a lot of fun in traffic if you really needed to get through it.

None of them would EVER replace any of my Corvettes.

And I think that is the point. While it is a great idea to think of driving a Corvette daily and always, sometimes we have other needs. I had to haul a couch in my truck a few weeks ago. It would have been really hard to do in the Vette. But those other needs also raise the specialness level of the Corvette. When I had my '67 big block coupe, I drove it as my daily driver. To work, to school, to whatever. After awhile, it was just a car. I hadn't gotten rid of my '69 Charger and so I began driving it to work when I blew the rear out of the '67.

When I got back in the Vette after two weeks of not having it, it was GREAT!!!!!! And a few more !!!!

Within a couple of months, it was a car again. Since I hadn't been having luck selling the Charger (now there is one I wish I had today, seen the Mopar prices lately?), I stuck some for sale signs in the windows and drove it to work several days a few. The days I drove the Vette, it was special again. Granted, it seemed like there were days in the Charger, I really wished I'd taken the Vette (girl in next car, Ricky Racer in next lane, etc), but when I drove it every day, there were a lot of days nothing made me really want it there. Watching the steam and exhaust blow the 10 inches of snow away from the sidepipes while I cleaned the windows one night was cool, though. :-)

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Sounds like a good idea. ;-) Bad dreams from blackout drills at home, not as often now but still have them - :-( Evacuation drills at school - :-( Pearl Harbor - :-( Large number of planes flying over day and night to Dayton for dispersement - :-) Bataan - friend survived the death march by eating his own feces, over 200 Lb going in, 90 when found, if you don't chew them you can get 5 or 6 meals for the same cup of beans :-( You know what he drank - :-( Bridge on the river Kwai - death camps - :-( Doesn't even show up in their history and they killed thousands of asians as well as English and Australians. :-(( Okinawa- brother was there, still won't talk about it. :-( Guadalcanal - lost an uncle - :-( Wake Island - Lost neighbor and a cousin - :-( Coral Sea - Uncle lost a leg - :-( Iwo Jima - :-) Midway - :-) Atomic bomb ;-)) Hiroshima - :-) Nagasaki - :-) Rebuild the empire at our expense - :-( Rebuild their manufacturing infrastructure better than ours, thank you Dr Deming and a stupid government - :-( Enter a Corvette news group suggesting I buy a honda - :-( Saying it was a joke ;-? It may have been but it was still a stupid thing to do. :-/ My right to express my own opinion - ;-)) Memories and emotions, what would we do without them? Don't forget to salute the Rising Sun Thursday!!!

Do I hate? No, as long as you don't pick the scab off it don't hurt anymore.

Reply to
Dad

I saw a C4 heading down the freeway for Mexico with a double sized mattress wedged into the hatchback last weekend. Sad sight. Looked away, didn't wave!

But those other needs also raise the specialness level of the

I turned the C4 into a commuter since it was less expensive to operate (at least for two or three years) than the G35X the company had been leasing for me. Better gas mileage and the depreciation on a C4 is all done. It's a helluva lot more fun too--most of the Lexus, BMW and Murano set wouldn't agree but, I was here first and really don't give a hoot.

When I got back in the Vette after two weeks of not having it, it was

That said, I think a good

OK guys, I really can't believe this Honda bashing -- perhaps I'm taking everyone to seriously and this is just a bad joke.

I've been doing this longer than 90% of you--learned to drive in my Mom's car using using a GM 'safety-shift' transmission. What marque & model year ?? Even bet that Dad might not remember.

First hands on with a 'vette in late '54. Had to start dating the local Chevy dealer's daughter to get those rides. Seemed more crude than my MG at the time but was a nice ride.

I've not personally owned a Honda automobile, did own one Honda bike. Both of my kids (who make far more $$ than I and don't mind spending on fine cars) have had at least one Honda in their garages since the late '80s. And models have varied-- CRX, Accords, Civics, Odyssey, & Pilots. It seems that Honda has always built a car to meet their particular needs as they have grown up. (Commuting, camping, hauling the kids etc.) I've driven all of those and occasionally borrowed one for a particular task. I think all those cars have been well engineered to task.

When I travel to the Northwest or to the East coast I'm usually in a U.S. mid, compact or foreign buzz box. But, on rare occasions I do get an older Honda (these seem to appear when Budget or Hertz is low on inventory and when I refuse to 'upgrade' to an SUV; then, tell the counter clerk that I'll wait for a compact or go to the competition.) I find that most Hondas are well balanced in design. They are nimble, quiet, economical and seem to hold up well as they age in the rental business.

Last trip I wound up with a very new, small Chrysler product -- cute, well thought-out interior & stowage; but, horrid transmission, lousy engine control, powertrain mount resonance between 20 and 35 mph, bad engine vibe above 65mph, severe understeer into turns and a roll center that must have been two inches below the road surface (shades of the deux-cheveau). If Walter P. was still alive it wouldn't have had the brand name on it! I'm sure Honda would not have put their name on it.

I think that anyone who says that Honda will never be a performance oriented company has had blinders on for the last 5 years. Open your eyes guys!

Honda grew up in the motorcycle business in the '50s. I brought a Honda bike back from Japan in 1961 and found it well engineered, durable and easy to maintain. While in Key West, it took a heavy pelting from coral dust (we called that 'morral') and I sorrowfully left it there in rather sad shape--but it ran well for the guy who bought it.

During the previous century, many of the better European and Asian automotive engines have sprung from the loins of motorcycle engineering. Honda has been no exception, witness Indy. (Nay-sayers shout that Honda 'unfairly' bought into Indy with their corporate bankroll.) Really?

I'd say Honda 'bought into Indy' with 60 years of engineering dedicated to performance and endurance.

I don't have any rice my garage. My countrymen built me damn fine stuff to fly and those planes brought me back to the 'boat' on a regular basis for over 20 years. I buy the cars my countrymen build (albeit with some help from Canada and other countries). (Hope Waggoner is right on his plug-in hybrid -- I might buy one!)

Reply to
PJ

Came out in the mid thirties and died in 1939, Cadillac, Olds, and a few Buicks. The 1929 Dodge I started driving did not have that kind of refinement.

Didn't stoop that far, (oops, should I put a smiley there, nah), bought my own and then started dating a girl from Toledo whose dad bought her one for her birthday, never liked it as it was a lime green. They had a better name for it than that, Cascade Green, in '56.

One of my younger uncles and 2 aunts built trainers and bombers in Wayne, Willow Run. Doubt one of those brought you home but may have helped in some way.

Never doubted the honda for what it is and what it has become and have loads of respect for how he built his company. Just don't need to own one, thank you.

Reply to
Dad

Good grief! I'll be d*****. I had wondered what was under the hood. Sorry Dad, but it's about automobiles.

Look youngster, I think I lived closer to most of that than you did. Barrage-ballon Site #37 was 100 yards from my house. Three times, shrapnel fell out of the sky at night. Kids dug foxholes and played war. OK to be Germans vs. Yanks. No one wanted to be a Jap.

Blackout was not a drill. We covered all windows save for the bedrooms--every night. We used flashlights with pin holes to find the toilet at night. We had an 'A' ticket for the car -- that got my Mom 2 gallons of gas a week.

Across the street from my school, MGM studio wasn't hidden. It's sound stages were the intended target if the Japanese aimed for Douglas Aircraft-Santa Monica. (which was hidden under netting with fake houses and phone poles on top.)

I was there when my grandmother and two of my aunts earned the title of My Dad, a Seabee "visited" seven different rocks as the U.S. clawed its way across the Pacific. Earned a purple heart but he made it back in one piece. I'm very thankful for having him as my hands-on mentor from age 11 onward. Three of my cousins weren't as lucky.

I do not like wars. I gritted my teeth as folks got splattered when I pulled the trigger. I cursed myself when I got sloppy and missed them. I swore when someone else punched a hole in my plane. War happens. When it's over you gotta hang up the jock, wash out the brain as often as possible, and do something else.

In the late '50s I helped train pilots for the JMSDF. Great guys all--superb work ethic and all were great sticks. (However, our riggers had a devil of a time fitting USN helmets to Japanese skulls.) I have no regret about having invested that effort into Japan. I do have some regret with having helped train the Iranians in the early '70s. Work ethic wasn't there and their brains were located somewhere below their belt lines.

It's over -- let go. Pull the scab off and get rid of the pus. It's about cars. Good ones, better ones and fun ones. Life is too damn short to hang on to hate.

When it's habitable back there, go for a ride. I've got the day off and am about to go trade the C4 for the C5 and do the same. 73 deg here right now, wind has died down. We pray that the fire hazard will subside and we won't loose any more fire fighters this year.

Reply to
PJ

And my Acura TL was built by Americans in Marysville, Ohio. (Would John Wayne tell me to smile when I say that?)

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

P.S. A lot of my friends build Subarus, and soon will be be building Camrys, right in my town. Those jobs are highly sought-after around here.

Reply to
CardsFan

Snip

Good grief Charlie Brown, by just reading what I type you can form an opinion but I'm not allowed to??

One of the fellows I worked with was from Japan and Kaz and I got alone better than you think I can with an off the wall comment about how we should buy a honda. Even my proctologist knows if he sticks me in the ass he will get a reply.

No, you have no idea what's under the hood, you think what you want but I can tell you in this case you are dead wrong. The group is about Corvettes, not just automobiles, come in and take a swipe at the group topic and I see no reason why I can't take a swipe back.

Was that the night they bombed the whale or just some more friendly fire? I lived by a power dam, much more difficult to camouflage, and those blimps were there for years and that is one of the things I still see in my dream. I have no idea why because I'm looking at it through a hole in my house roof and that never happened. Must have been all of the chatter from the big folk when they got together.

Where the hell did you get flashlights, all we had were kerosene lanterns with shades. No electricity so the blackout rooms were where the lamps were for about

3 years. I now have those coupon books that were left now that Mom and Dad are gone.

I still have one living cousin that refused to take out a kamikaze pilot, with twin 50s, that missed his ship and crashed. Instead picked him up with the landing craft he was piloting and he turned out to be a college graduate from Chicago. He was most helpful as an interpeter plus one hell of a cook as I was told. That's the way I view the Japanese and their culture, helpful to nearly a fault. They just had some really bad guidance plus some very bad times 100 years ago.

You missed my point completely, I dislike and reserve the right to reply in kind, if I choose, when I'm nicked by someone that thinks it fun to come in and jab at something he knows nothing about.

Can you define "habitable" for me, is that with high winds, fires, choking smoke, mud slides, earthquakes, and heavy rains? The only thing I did to drive the Corvette today was add some air pressure to compensate for the 20 degree weather. It has been 3 days since I drove the '72 but now the lawn tractor and the snow plow are both parked in front of it.

Reply to
Dad

I have the most respect for singularly outstanding expertise in this group.

I appologize for having erred.

Regards ... PJ

Reply to
PJ

Thank you for a little understanding.

I know "Dad" is very respected in this newsgroup but he seems to be a bit grouchy in my opinion. Corvettes are fine cars but no need to think they are the only ones.

And I think you brought up a good point about driving another car makes you appreciate your Corvette more. A very interesting point to consider when buying the Corvette too.

thanks.

Reply to
No Vette Yet