Problem with Tach

Still restoring my C3. Its raining like nuts here in california so I haven't been able to take her out for a nice drive. Rain sucks...

I have a problem with my tach and speedometer. The needle doesn't move (hasn't moved for a month) and the (tach) miles also don't move. It is stuck at 75k odd miles My question is.. would just buying a cable and reinstalling it solve the problem, or whether I should buy a new tach/speedometer guage altogether. Will there be a problem with that ? suddenly a 28 year old car with 75k miles starts over ....with 0 ?

I really don't think carfax will even know about it, since the 13 digit VIN doesn't show up on a carfax record. But what is usually done in a case like this ? Won't Insurance and registration wonder about it ?

Reply to
E_Tar

little gears inside the gauges have probably worn out or damaged....

make sure it's not the cable though by twisting the core to see any movement, pushing it in and out whilst twisting.

getting the gears inside the gauges replaced or repaired is easy if done by reputable person but getting the dash out is a bit of a P.I.T.A.

as long as you like working upside down, removal can be straight forward.

MARK/LABEL EVERYTHING when removing the dash otherwise putting humpty back together can be a BIGGER P.I.T.A....

harry '64 coupe downunder

Reply to
hmmmmmm

Heck try being an amature astromoner...clouds suck..! and we have more cloudy nights then rainny days (well except on the weekends in the summer and I want to drive one of my Corvettes...then it not only rains..but the clouds are out also...

Are you talking about the Speedometer...its mechanical..OR are you talking about the Tack which in a 28 yo car (78?) has a circuit board and is electrical)

OR are you saying that the odometer also does not work ... ????

The Republic of California is weird I have no clue how that State views anything..BUT in Maryland you can simply state that the milage shown IS NOT CORRECT.. when you register the car...most of my cars show very low milage...BUT the odometers have all turned over..How many times? well "I think" only once... who knows...?...

Not sure off the top of my head but if the car is a 78 you have 2 speedometer cables to deal with... Tach has none... Colored Nylon Gear in the tranmission housing may also be stripped .. Bob G.

64 72 76 79 & 95
Reply to
Bob G.

whats (tach) miles ??? :-) the cable would be my first thing to "check"...

not really :-)

when you sell the car. you will have to sign to the trur milage statement.

sure they would.. also, don't think for a minute that there is not a milage record anywhere for your car.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

The tach is not working (no needle movement). The speedometer works, but the miles on the speedometer are stuck. Sorry I was not more specific in my earlier post. My Bad. :-)

Reply to
eslurf

If it is 28 years old, and thus a '78, then you have an electronic circuit board that is prone to fail that runs the tach. Check Ecklers, Mid America, Corvette Central, et al, for a new one. If your car is really more than 28, '74 and older, then the tach is mechanical and the gears in the distributor eat themselves for lunch. Both the cross shaft and the main shaft gears will be gone and need replacing.

In the speedometer/odometer, the drag of the trip odometer is prone to stripping the odometer gears due to the load. And competent local speedometer shop can repair with no problem. However, before reinstalling, be sure to lube the trip odometer reset cable and the speedometer cable.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

California DMV lets you off the hook when the car is 10 years old. No sweat if the car stays here:

Just in case the car will be resold in another state with more picky laws it might be a good idea to make a "best estimate" of the mileage at time of repair. Jot it down and have it notarized (so that the notary's seal date will be close to the date that the repair was made.) Pass the note along with the pinkslip--might help someone else get a clean title. Best of luck in finding a reasonably priced Notary--last signature I had verified cost me $ 22.

HTH

Reply to
PJ