Re: 1976 Trans Swap Q

The ratios are :3.090 1.670 1.000 0.730

That first gear is a stump puller. You're going to surprise a BUNCH of people at a few stop light grand prix because you'd have to have a

4.98 rear end with the stock transmission to get the same effective ratio, assuming the Muncie has the 2.20 first gear. It will make 180 hp perform like you have never seen. The step from 1st to 2nd is SO wide you probably won't be happy with performance after you shift though, because it is going to take the engine out of the optimum torque band. The Muncie ratios are closer and keep the engine in a narrower torque/rpm band with shifts. You may want to look at an alternative - swap out the rear end. It may not give you the engine speed reduction you're looking for (e.g. - if you have a 5.55 rear end now, you need to drop to a 2.59 and I'm not sure there ever was one that low - maybe someone else can say for sure).

The transmission swap will work. At the most you're going to have to adapt the mounting bolts for the tranny to the support (I think the bellhousing is the same pattern), tinker with the shifter and linkage, and maybe buy a new custom drive shaft which is no big woof.

Please post your results here if you move forward with the tranny swap. It would be interesting.

Charlie

Hi, am wondering about

the feasibility of swapping the Muncie out for one

of > the side loaders from

an early eighties Chevy truck. I think GM calls it

the > NP260 (MY6) which I

guess is like the old New Process A833, which is

really > a 3 speed with

Overdrive. The ratios are :3.090 1.670 1.000 0.730 It's

basically a stock

engine, so with 180 HP am not too concerned about

tearing > it up. The looks

and runs great, but the truth be told, my wife and

daughter > are the only

ones that drive it. If it got better mileage and it was an

easy swap, I might

go visit the wrecker. So if you can clue me in on

splines, yolks, tail shafts

and shifter placement,ect, I'd be much

obliged, > thx > >
Reply to