Re: '74 Vette question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:51:00 -0500, "Dad" puked:

>> What would cause the following: >> >> When you accelerate, it feels like the left rear of the car dips and >> the right rear is trying to accelerate past the left rear tire? >> >> The tires are the same size, shocks and suspension all seem good. >> The >> car was taken to a mechanic that couldn't figure out the problem >> (he's >> done work on a lot of our cars and appears to be pretty decent by >> all >> accounts). >> >> It's a 350 auto convertible, not that I imagine it matters... >> -- >> lab~rat >:-) >> Do you want polite or do you want sincere? > >A check of the 4 wheel alignment shows what?

Evidently he had a 4 wheel alignment performed recently. How well it was done, I don't know.

lab~rat >:-)

Somehow I doubt there was a proper 4 wheel alignment recently if it acts as you describe. Look for a disintegrated bushing and/or lost shims in the leading pivot of the rear trailing arms. The really bad problem there is the frame can rust out in that area, major repair time/cost. As a side note some shops I've seen will bend the radius rods rather that wade into correcting the adjustment points that rust badly, they should be straight.

If you start on the brakes do the complete job, if not, you are only going to be back in them again when you don't want to be.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dad