Re: Building a Corvette Kit Car

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or not, but Corvette Central has discontinued their "concept 57" as they called it. I live about 1.5 hours away
from Joe Tromblay's shop in Buffalo NY so I am going to check his version out.
--
jazzwny

I just took delivery of one his 57 Vette bodies and a bare frame (no suspension). I'm quite impressed by the finish and the quality of the work. The body is surprisingly complete with the doors, hood and trunk lid prehung even including the door latches and mechanism. A good bodyman friend was impressed with the straightness of the body's gel coat. The frame is quite well built - good welds and very solid. I'm impressed overall and quite happy with the purchase.
I've only had it for a week but did notice that the air vent between the windshield and hood is glassed in and not functional.
Unfortunately, Joe only supplies the kits with Mustang II front ends and Ford 9" rear ends - blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. I'm mounting 1984 Vette IFS and IRS on mine. Just have to do some measuring and will have a custom front crossmember made by Flat Out Engineering in Calif. The IRS looks like it will be not too hard to install myself.
On a side note, since I have only the body and frame, I've temporarily put it on car wheel skates so I can move it around the garage. The car skates are made for 4000 lb vehicles like my 54 Pontiac but with the frame and body only weighing about 800 lb tops, it so easy to move it around. One finger and it moves!
Joe is a very easy guy to work with and I'm very happy with my purchase.