Re: Car Air Conditioning

Selling disposable cans of refrigerant to the public is not only very dangerous to them, but, they do not have the expertise on how to properly charge a cars a/c system. You dont just 'fill er up' with freon
; it has to be accurately measured in and you have to know what you are doing . Youre doing a disservice to the public , albiet making a profit doing so.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:22:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Well I did not take the time to view the original posters link.. So I sure can not comment on it or the above reply...
.BUT
I can tell you a bunch of us older farts used to buy 75 cent cans of R12 at the local Auto Zones/Pep Boys etc and just filling "her" up so to speak...
Bob G.
"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message (dave)

Yeah! I resemble that. I guess ignorance is bliss.
tww1491 wrote:

As long as you made dang sure the can stayed upright, worked just fine.
Bob I wrote:

Still have a couple of cans on the shelf. Regrettably, I didn't buy a large tank of R12 when Costco had it on sale, for "export to Mexico."
My a/c guy is still peddling 'recycled' R12; however the price is getting fierce.
I see mixed reports on FR-12 conversion -- any experience here??
-- pj
'Well I did not take the time to view the original posters link.. So I sure can not comment on it or the above reply...'
REPLY: Hes trying to peddle disposable cans of refrigerant.
'I can tell you a bunch of us older farts used to buy 75 cent cans of R12 at the local Auto Zones/Pep Boys etc and just filling "her" up so to speak... Bob G.'
REPLY: Its a pure guess unless your cars a/c system had a liquid line sight-glass indicator whereby you would add refrigerant until all the bubbles in the sight-glass went away thereby guaranteeing a full head of liquid to the evaporators metering device ; but , manufacturers did away with sight-glass indicators to save money and so Joe Public would have to take it in to the respective Manufacturers Dealership to have it properly recharged.
There's always somebody wanting to tell us not to service our own airconditioners, but plenty of us are still doing it. Anyone who wants to can take a test, pay a fee and become certified.

I bought the manifold gauges and vacuum pump on Ebay, very reasonably priced I think the gauges were about $40 and the used vacuum pump was about $80, incl. shipping. I needed both R-12 and R-134a gauges as I have vehicles of both varieties. A little research on the Net was all I needed to get the info like correct pressures, recommended oil (closed ended-refers to the molecule), etc. and since having all this I've worked on about six different cars and home A/C units too, I've probably saved at least $600 in service charges so far. There's this clever inexpensive device that injects the oil without adding any air or breaking open the system once under vacuum. There is also a flush solution and 'gun' you can buy to 'pressure wash' the inside of the system works great if you have an air compressor. And one can buy R-12 on Ebay without a license if you send the seller a statement saying you are buying it for re-sale.
Butcher '96 LT-4 CE