Re: concerns before buying

> Before I buy, I have some concerns that deal with the total cost of

>> ownership as a daily driver. I haven't found any sites or replies yet >> that give numbers for typical costs of ownership but I'm still looking >> while asking here. Trying to avoid a lengthy post with details, >> >> a) Does 65 cents/mile sound reasonable ( omitting assumptions but I >> don't think these will affect the cost more than 5 cents/mile) ? > >You think that may change with the gas prices that have been going up? >

No I don't or maybe I should say not that much per mile from today on.

> b) Do you think the car is as reliable as a Honda Accord? > >Do you have a certain Honda Accord in mind that we can compare or are you >just going to pick one at random? >

Which ever way you want to compare since generally they are reliable cars. Having owned 2 of them in my life, I don't think it matters tho. If necessary, take the 90 or 91 Accord since it's got a long track record now.

> c) Is an extended warrantee worth the cost and if so, what is a fair >> cost from the dealer for "x" number of years?? I don't plan to do >> repairs and expect to own it hopefully 10 years minimum. > >They can be worth the money if you have problems. >

Very helpful. I think I knew that.

You need not reply. I don't think you and I will see eye to eye. Perhaps the only thing we might agree upon, is that I omitted some info but I was trying to be brief.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone and based on other replies, I don't think I did as I write this except maybe you. I won't apologize because I think thats what this newsgroup is for, to ask questions.

Reply to
Ken

Zorin Inc.

Ok. Do you have one?

Reply to
Ken

Yeah, if you have an email I'll send you some pics. Sorry, it's just most vette owners are more concerned with horsepower/performance, style, restoration and maintaining an American icon. Dependability and miles per gallon/cost of ownership are usually waaaay down on the list. Most people don't buy a Vette for the daily grocery getter. Look through the posts in her and it's kind of hard to find anyone bragging about the great gas mileage theirs gets. I just think that with your state of mind you'd probably be much happier with a Civic, or something along those lines. You said keep the replies short, so if I was you, I wouldn't get a Vette.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

No, I thought I said I was trying to keep my orig post brief not the replies from others. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.

Based on some replies, it seems like cost shouldn't be a factor and actually tho my orig post may be misleading it's not my main concern. My main concern is reliability. I don't want it to live in the shop.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Ken

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:32:13 -0500, "Zorin Inc." wrote something wonderfully witty:

I actually did buy a `95 C-4 Corvette as a long distance commuter. I was quite surprised at the MPG that it got in comparison to some other GM vehicles I own with 4.3l V6's. The Vette surpassed them all and regularly returned me ~ 25mpg in mainly highway driving. The best the V6's seem to do is about 19mpg. Now a Honda Civic it ain't when it comes to gas milage, but who the hell wants to drive a cookie cutter car?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

OK, it looks like you can do some math, lets do a little more and take the entire price of a Corvette and amortize it over the 10 years, @ 10,000 miles per, it comes out less than the .65 cent you were thinking might be reasonable. Gas could come out about .10 cents a mile so if your Corvette was worth nothing at the end of 10 years the only added cost invested is the insurance and maintenance. On the other hand $3 a mile won't cover it if you're like some and drive it less than 2,000 a year, see how that works?

I have no idea why it's up to me to pick a Honda to compare. So you're saying you want to compare a 90/91 Corvette to a 90/91 Honda? Or are you still keeping the car your thinking about secret? Generally Corvettes are reliable, after 40 plus years only one was a dog and only once did a Corvette let me down on the road. Honda doesn't have a long record to look back on, and if I did there's a brand new Honda that I would have liked to drive right up someone's ass. My son thought it would help him through college and I never put as much time and money into repair even when I was drag racing. Thankfully he dumped the piece of crap some time before he was rear-ended at speed by a Jeep Gladiator while driving a 72 Monte Carlo, pushing the rear bumper into the rear wheels. He was unhurt, sore, but nothing broke or cut, we rebuilt it and he drove it for 3 more years for a total of 243,000 miles.

You need to re-read that stupid question. Is the insurance you buy worth its price?

Wouldn't have known that from your question.

Of course I need not reply, why should you look any worse than you already do? You still haven't put out enough information for anyone in here to give you the answer you were looking for, that's why you ask the question that way, isn't it? You could at the very least let some one know what your thoughts were, like if you were looking for a used car, a new car, .......... like I said before......

I think you need to re-read some of those replies. Ignorance never apologizes. So I won't either because I'm still ignorant of what you're looking for. Like the old joke about the difference between a porcupine and a Corvette, the pricks are on the outside of the porcupine. You think you met one and so do I.

Here's hoping I upset you enough that you don't get a Corvette, go back to Honda, you deserve them.

Reply to
Dad

What a SNOB.

Reply to
Ken

=================== Actually I also own a 95...6 speed...that has averaged 24.7 mpg over the 70,000 miles I have driven it....that is total average mpg...from the 1st drop of gasoline I ever put in it ...

By far the most fuel efficient vehicile I own.. ...I normally use it for trips however... Heck even got 33 mpg on a 400 mile treck down the interstate with the cruise set at 82 mph... that was non stop gas station to gas station. damn good tail wind I guess.... Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:00:03 -0500, Bob G wrote something wonderfully witty:

I've had a couple of those "What the Fuck?" tanks myself. Makes ya shake the old calculator once or twice. One big change that I noticed is when I switched from the original rubber over to Firestone SZ50's. My milage went up almost 2mpg. Never had a set of tires do that before.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

May be, but I don't have to have my hand held to figure out the difference between a Corvette and a Honda. Ask your CPA how that math stuff works, makes stupid questions un-required.

Ask him why you pay for a news server that is free, or is that so you can use an anonymous server?

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

Having never owned a vette and wanting to know how reliable it was, I chose to ask for a comparison to a known reliable car and the one that came to mind was a Honda Accord. I didn't ask or even think that the cost of either were about the same. If you want to use a Rolls Royce to compare to, ok.

And, the reason I asked the cost per mile was I was trying to see what the real cost was, not the purchase price. Maybe you don't care what something costs but I do because I pay cash.

Reply to
Ken

You are good, I never carry that much cash at one time although I haven't made any payments on anything for decades. I do it the old fashion way, put it on my credit card and do an electronic bank transfer, cash is just to bulky.

You missed the entire point, the use you put a car to determines the cost per miles. If you are inclined to let the car sit all year the cost per mile is outrageous. On the other hand if you drive it the cost per miles goes down. Same thing I said before. Just to help you out the amount of miles you drive has a cost curve to it so ask you CPA how that works.

Reply to
Dad

My 93 is a daily driver. It has 116K miles on it. I change the oil every

5k miles. I've changes the plugs twice, the wires once. One fan motor. Flushed the radiator 5 times. A couple of hoses. One belt. One EGR tube at the back of the engine. A couple of trans filters and fluid changes. A knew stereo system. One Battery. A new top. A set of tires every 2 to 3 years (get them from The Tire Rack). One fuel filter. A pvc valve.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Reply to
Charlie