Re: - Does a 2000 C5 Have Brake Pad Sensors?

In any case I sure would not be waiting to hear the indicators "sound

>off" telling me I waited too long...

Is that really what it means? I was thinking that it was an alarm similar to the low-fuel light, which comes on *before* you run out of gas. If it came on after, it wouldn't be much help. OTOH, a smoke alarm only goes off after the smoke arrives. If I were desgining a pad sensor, I would make it go off perhaps 1,000 miles before any damage would occur. If you were on vacation, you wouldn't have to stop to get your brakes serviced and could do it when you got home.

I was under the impression that there are two kinds of screetching noises: The first is a harmless alarm designed to get your attention and replace the pads caused by a special material in the pad that is only exposed near the end of the pad's life. The second, nastier noise is when the pads are worn down and the disk is being wrecked. Is this correct?

Thanks, Matt

Posted with yEncExpress. Get your free copy at

Matt Trivisonno

Yea Matt that is the general idea of how they work.... I guess it depends on just how good your hearing is... The sensors do make a slight sound that "most" people can hear before the rivets etc start to grind into the rotors...

Unfortunately I really do not hear that well...and my wife can not hear at all... LOL

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

It's a little metal tab attached to the pad, bend into a "P" type shape. When the pad gets around to 80-90% used up it contacts the rotor and squeals when you hit the brakes.... If you let the pad wear more it will eventually contact the rotor all the time and squeal all the time, even not applying the brakes.

You will get a dist>

Reply to
RicSeyler

Hmmm. You seem to say this with a certain amount of authority Ric! Does this mean that you actually . . . Naw!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Reply to
RicSeyler

Gotcha!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Yes, the "cricket sound" means that you have a few hundred miles left before it creates a serious problem.

BUT: here's the lesson that I learned with my 2000 Impala LS. There are inboard and outboard pads. Only one set makes the cricket sound, and the reason is that this set is SUPPOSED to wear out first. But there was something defective with the brakes on my Impala, so the other set wore out first--and required not just pads, but a new rotor.

Reply to
clayton