Re: Europe Loves The Mustang

Page 2 of 9
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Webzpider"
Someone please let us know when it's over.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
Waiving the right to remain silent, the guvnor

Because you double the price with import taxes. Yurop has never played fair with auto imports from the US.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:28:32 GMT, "Larry J."

Import duty is 10%

Note how the US car market is closed to true competition due to your fedralisation rules.
said:

Improve your friggin' build quality on cars other than the Rolls, and Americans might well buy your cars - IF you build them to world standards of crash worthiness. I loved Rover, but Rovers - other than the old Land Rovers - were pieces of crap. AND, your cars are expensive! Parts were expensive, a decent mechanic was hardly ever to be found.
I don't think you realize just how large this country is. All the countries of the UK are smaller than the single state of Oregon.

An American crying about car build quality???

Smaller than Russia, Canada and China.
Note how you never hear people from those larger countries banging on about how big they are...

So what?

I actually thought we might make some headway. As I said earlier, I'm one of the guys that LIKES you guys.
I don't know your age, so it may well be that you don't remember how horrid the build quality of British motorcars was back in the 1960s and 1970s. Unfortunately the people my age do remember how bad those cars were - the same was true of French and most Italian cars - and as such people have shunned, in many ways, the purchase of European cars other than the German cars which held up to long-distance driving - and cars that went fast. And back in those days few Americans could actually afford a Jag and certainly could not afford a machine such as an Aston Martin.
Most of the small underpowered cars that were shipped over here by most European builders were ill-suited to American use. It's not uncommon for an American to climb into an automobile and take a multi-thousand mile trip - THAT's why I mention the size of the United States vs. the United Kingdom.
I bought another Corvette 3 years ago. I purchased it in California - I live in Texas - flew out, got the car and drove it home via Colorado - that's more than 2,400 miles. I put new shocks on it, repaired the radio antenna (the car was used) and promptly took a 7,000 mile trip around the United States. American cars do this easily. They're large enough for comfort. Economical enough to warrant a trip such as that, and manage the trip with aplomb.
In July I'm leaving the Dallas area driving to visit friends in Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, and New York, a trip of more than 4,000 miles. This will be my 5th such trip - in excess of 2,000 miles per trip.
American build quality used to be almost as bad as British build quality, but the Japanese spanked us so thoroughly that we had no choice but to begin building better cars, and we do. Those American cars are ill-suited for use in the UK for the reasons stated earlier.
I drove Porsches and BMWs for years, but when I moved back to the United States and small-town America (70 miles from the nearest BMW or Porsche parts and diagnostics centers) I went back to driving something I could get repaired here - population 9,500. For a performance two-seater the obvious choice was Corvette. I can get a Corvette repaired at any of the 4,500+ Chevy dealers in towns scattered across America.
Joel
I normally avoid these pissing contests, but the fact remains that Americans buy cars normally that they can drive wherever they feel like going, which may be to the corner store or 3000 miles away.
Unfortunately, many British cars would fail at the second. An American car typically gets its oil changed at 5000 miles, if the owner remembers. It will go 150,000 miles before any major work and quite often will get 200,000 miles on before it is scrapped out.
However, in my share of British cars, 5000 miles on an oil change was like Russian roulette and usually would never make 150,000 miles. Part of that was you traded them after a half dozen rain storms because you bought a car to drive, not sit on the side of the road waiting for it to dry out.
Been there, done that, spent my time in Europe. Loved it, had fun, but don't compare cars when they are built for two very different environments.

of
I should add that I took a 1500 mile trip once in England. Ran from East Anglia up to Liverpool into Scotland and back down. Most people in England could not grasp the idea, and when they did, they thought I was absolutely nuts to attempt such a "LONG" trip over a long weekend.
Yet here in America a few years back, I frequently made trips between Missouri and South Florida, roughly 1200 miles one way, on weekends. So my 2400 mile trips dwarf that 1500 mile trip in England. I have been known to commute 100 miles one way to work daily.
BTW, the fine English car broke, not once, but twice. I also had a wonderful leak of water pouring through the windscreen. It fortunately did not stall in the rain. It waited a few weeks to do that later on the A45 east of Cambridge.
I had a roommate who had a Rover 3500. Fast car, compared to other British cars. Yet the thing had all the quality of a '52 Plymouth. Handled about as well.
Unlike Russia, Canada, and China, the vast majority of our people have cars and actually drive them long distance. It isn't (and wasn't) uncommon for a family to drive from coast to coast. Such a trip in Russia would be beyond what most could do. Many parts of Canada does not have roads, or at least not in some months of the year. China?

of
Thanks, Tom.
Joel
Waiving the right to remain silent, the guvnor

How about marketwise..?

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:15:35 GMT, "Larry J."

The Russians have more oil, the Canadians more timber and China dominated world manufacturing.
What is it that you people do?
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:26:37 GMT, the guvnor

Make you say stupid things.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

I'd just like to point out that Canadian tar sands reserves are larger than any other oil reserves current exploitable. So dump the A-rabs, you Americans and switch wholly to Canadian oil! No more dealing with the scum in the Middle East! You can let them nuke each other!

We're also very rich in shale oil. Millions of acres of it in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.
Still a bit expensive to process, but the methods are getting much more economical.
We also get a lot of sun - much more than Canada. ;-)

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:13:38 GMT, "Larry J."

They aren't called " Snowbirds" for nuthin'. :)
--
Guvner, a 300 pound grease caked gerbil stuffer
<

Where does that leave Yurop, then..?

We used to save your cowardly asses every few decades, but we're done wih that after the thankless task of rebuilding Yurop a couple of times.
Bye...

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:11:25 GMT, "Larry J."

Running it all.

You off?
Waiving the right to remain silent, the guvnor

Just "running" is more truthful.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:49:15 GMT, "Larry J."

This from a Frenchman???
Waiving the right to remain silent, the guvnor

The only Frenchman here left a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't keep up.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!