Re: ironrod focks up alternators

>>An alternator is capable of producing more voltage than your battery is >>capable of handing. The regulator works by limiting the output. The last >>time my brushes went the problem manifested itself by maxing out the >>voltmeter. Another place to look is at the alternator sense line, if it is >>not hooked up correctly it could be signaling for max output. >> > >lmfao > >alternator sense line >LMFAO >what a moron >its called regulated voltage ya FOCTARD >measure voltage at battery >if its 14.5 or more the regualtor is focked > > >ford does not have an alternator >the shop manual call s the generators > >get some certification > >LMFAO >h >u >r >c >a >s >t

lets turn this up a notch

Reply to
2canchew

what's there to turn up? everything there makes sense.. i think. battery provides power to the car, alternator keeps batter charged, voltage regualtor keeps the power output in check, and there will be a sensor there somewhere to signal the guage on the dash what to display. the only thing that doesn't make sense is the term 'generator'.. i'm not sure why a shop manual would call it that, that's not what an alternator does. an generator is a simple device, really.. and incredibly inneficient and weak. i don't think they have used generators in cars in more than 25 years.

an alternator, on the other hand, is immeasurably more efficient when compared to a generator, has slip rings instead of commutators, and produces up to 120 volts DC via a voltage regulator and state regualtor.

">>measure voltage at battery >>if its 14.5 or more the regualtor is ocked" --true.. but the regualtor is part of the alternator. thusly, the alternator is "focked"

Reply to
ArchTaib

Actually the alternator can produce much more than 120 volts AC. DC is what you get after that AC is run through the rectifier diodes inside the alternator. The regulator uses a remote sensing wire to keep the voltage in the vehicle at 13.8-14 volts. That remote wire is used to counteract the voltage drop that occurs through the long wire runs and multiple connections in the wiring harness. That is why you will usually find low voltage in vehicles that use a one wire alternator instead of a conventional 3 wire. The voltage lost in the wiring can be 1-1.5 volts depending on length of the run.

thusly, the

battery is

Reply to
Steve W.

i meant AC, hehe sorry ;) but i didn't know that it could be more.

so far we seem to be in agreement on the usage of an alternator... it's been an informative post for all, i hope =)

Reply to
ArchTaib

funny the latest ford manual for a 05 mustang call it a generator LMFAO

h u r c

Reply to
hueydewyandlouie

And so do the newer DC Service manuals. At the chrysler group, one of the guys there mentioned the reason it is a generator know instead of an alternator!

Reply to
David

I have one 10SI here that I have had up to 220 with a good cooling fan on it. The field windings will take it but the stator starts to get REAL hot if you don't push some air through the housing. The older 10 series can do a bit more but the slip rings start to arc. if you really want to play with one find one of the older Leese Neville units from a heavy truck. Those can really crank out some power. 300 amps plus and 120 AC is child's play with them. Take a look at many ambulances and they are under the hood powering the hotel load. They are BIG and HEAVY though.

Reply to
Steve W.