Re: OT- prepping car for daughter at college

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:47:58 -0500, observer wrote:

Just want to thank everyone for the excellent advice. I will seriously consider all the advice. And thanks for allowing me to post an off topic post and not flaming me for it.
FWIW, no pics but I will tell any interested, she wants her car when she begins her 3rd year of college (2nd at UT Austin) and first year at any apartment. She herself admits to me the greatest danger there is getting keyed. I read about car break-ins and I could see this being a danger if the car sits still most week days (unfortunately I don't have an answer for this since she will be assigned a covered parking spot). I wonder what I'll do if it gets broken into and fix it and put it in the same position waiting for the next one??? I don't expect anyone can answer this except me unfortunately. thanks everyone again.
<observer> wrote in message

Break into a Corolla? Depends on what is on the front seat. Keep nothing in sight and no flashy subwoofers or anything like that. Let me know what color so that I do not park my Vette next to her car while in Austin : ) Its the other car that will likely get broken into.
Empty3
Shouldn't get keyed unless no one likes your daughter or she is driving a 'rich kid's' car. Seems like she is not.
No breakins unless she has a great stereo or something to take. There are hundreds of cars from other students why get hers.
I have had 4 students go through college, and no problems like that with the cars. Biggest problem, the cars sit out in the sun and do not get moved for weeks. Are filthy, maybe run down battery, lots of bird crap and oxidized interiors.
I would go liability only on the insurance unless you are very tight for money. You are assuming a very minor risk of vandalizm or theft for a substantial insurance saving.
I go liability only on most all my cars. Have never been sorry. Knock on wood.
Vito

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:05:04 -0700, "Uncle_vito"

Car is stock and looks almost new. You may be right because she worked full time for over a year at a mall (sometimes for 12 hours per day) and parked it just like the customers and never even got a ding. I don't know how she did that. Maybe that's the same as parking it an apartment in an assigned covered parking spot ??
When my son went away to college, he turned 18 in December. At that time I put him on his own liability policy and sold him the title to the truck for $1. The insurance was more expensive going this way, but this limits your own liability. You might want to check with your attorney.
As someone pointed out earlier, the truck took a beating with the Georgia sun.
When he graduated, I bought him a new truck and bought my old one back. It lasted 3 years - 1986 Chevy S-10 retired in 2001 with 180,000 miles on it.
Bob 2000 C5 License: "BLUE C5" Virginia
"observer" wrote in message wrote:

I find that our Church parking lot is the worst for unacknowledged dings.
Oh yes, one other mod that you should add:
*LOCKING* *GASCAP*
-- pj