Remove odor from stored roadster?

Page 1 of 2
What is a good neutralizer/remover of the musty odor of a 20+ year stored car?I have cleaned/ vacuumed the entire interior, but haven't shampooed the
carpets. It was stored in a garage under a car cover. It is now in a garage with the windows down and will probably be there for another 6 months.
lib wrote:

for an extended period. Your Mom used baking soda to remove odors from the refrigerator.

The Arm & Hammer brand baking soda can be bought in any supermarket. Cheap too. Sprinkle it on the carpet, floor and upholstery, let it sit a few days and then vacuum it. You can then also leave a bowl or plate of the stuff on the floor in the car for long term storage.
Cheers, Bill S.
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:32:24 GMT, "Bill Sohl"

Basically a good idea, but don't sprinkle on the carpet directly, instead lay a single sheet of newspaper down and sprinkle on the paper, then it is *much* easier to clean up aftwards! <bg>

I agree with "not on the carpet", since it can sift it's way through the carpet and sit, like sand, on your floorboards. Add a little moisture, and you're asking for rust.
Unless you have dark carpet, I'm not sure I'd use newspaper though. The ink might transfer to the carpet/upholstery. Plain brown wrapping paper or some other unprinted paper might be a better idea.
-- ~~R.Banks
Sprinkle it right into the carpet. Let it sit a couple of days. Then vacuum it out.
Then get a Rug Doctor and shampoo the carpets and anything cloth in the interior. You can also do the leather seats with the Rug Doctor but saddle soap and leather condition them afterwards.
Do the Rug Doctor on a hot, sunny day and leave it sit open to air out and dry well or you will have mildew.
What is causing the smell has to be killed off and removed, and a little baking soda in a bowl ain't gonna do it.
The Rug Doctor won't rust out the floors anyway. Similar machines have been used in high dollar antique car collections for years, places like Harrods', and they would know what keeps them and what destroys them. (BTW, they drove every car on a regular basis, they didn't leave them sit.)
And second, real Corvettes don't have metal floors, so they ain't gonna rust.

Thanx for the good info. I appreciate it- Lib

Ferbreze or however it is spelled works pretty well.

lib, a buddy of mine recently used Febreze Antimicrobial spray in his '55 Chevy and he tells me it worked wonders overnight. I just looked it up on the web and here's a link,
http://www.homemadesimple.com/febreze/products/antimicrobial.shtml
lib wrote:

generator and put in the car with the windows all up and let it sit over night. It will not have any odors the next day. Works wonders.
Dennis

Ozone is tough on rubber and some plastics. I'd be careful about using it in high concentratons. "Professional" often use product that are not good for cars in the long term becasue they work wonders in the short term.
Ed
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030405020006010102030701 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Huh...... good catch!! Makes prefect sense.
C. E. White wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Or it screwed up your sense of smell! :- Just messing with you! *lol*
go to your kroger or alb or swy and by a big can of coffee
sprinkle it on the carpets and seats
make sure nothing is wet
vac up the next day week month
odor will be gone

I've also found that dryer sheets left in the car on a hot day can do wonders. Probably not the best solution, but it's another option.

Off the topic..... Where did the word ROADSTER originate? Did some one see a lobSTER cross a ROAD ????
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

It originally meant a horse suitable (by training and temperament) for riding on roads. With time it was extended to mean a light open carriage as would typically be drawn by such a horse, and still later came to mean a light two-seat convertible.

horse. The term "roadster" was used to describe him, and obviously it was an open air ride.