Remove/Replace Power Brake Unit Help

Attempting to remove and replace the power brake unit on a 1981 automatic. GM shop manual simply says remove nuts from 4 studs on firewall. Yeah,
right. How do you get to them? I can see them and if I wiggle my fingers just right, I can touch them. I know they're 14mm but can't get to them with either a standard or deepwell socket with any configuration of extensions or U joints. I've removed the Tach/Speedo to do some other work and thought there might be some route through from there. Any help would be appreciated.
Gary '64 327/365hp '78 L82 '81 350

work
be
Had to do this on my '77 last year. I thought I'd never get it done. You're right about barely being able to touch the nuts, let alone see them. I managed finally by patiently (about three days of it) moving everything in the way and using extensions and wobblies and everything else I could find. Putting it back together is equally entertaining.
Good luck. (I did not learn any secrets to pass on to make it any easier. Sorry. It's just one of those things, I think. Patience, patience, patience. And skinned knuckles. And beer.)

automatic.
fingers
would
them.
in
find.
Shoot, I did learn one secret. You have to loosen or remove the steering column bolts where they go through the firewall. That gives you the access to the booster. You can move the column a little bit out of the way, and it's just enough.
Another little trick before you install the new booster, grind the ends of the bolts a bit so the nuts have a good taper to start. I think the master cylinder bolts come like that. I spent quite a bit of time on my back twisted around the steering column trying to get the nuts on the studs. I modified the end of the studs and the nuts went on real easy