Replacing battery in 93 coupe

Hello All,

It looks like the 7/8 year old battery in my vette has finally given up the ghost. I popped the hood to see how easy it is to take out, and it looks like a bitch to deal with.

After a little googling I saw where people say you have to loosen/remove the body side panel to get it out. Is this true, and if so, is it easy? I'm not much of a mechanic unfortunately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

regards,

Archiver

Reply to
Archiver

Not too difficult..some small screws around the wheel well and a 10 or 12mm bolt at the rear bottom of the panel...just keep looking and you will see how it attaches..also a hold down bolt at the bottom rear of the battery.Clean it all up with water/baking soda mix .

Or

Buy a Sears battery and they will install it free ....

Reply to
grayfox

"grayfox" wrote in news:IeGWf.915$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Thanks for the info grayfox. I would like to do it myself just to get my hands dirty, but I was planning on a Diehard for it.

I think AAA will flatbed 15 miles for free and Sears is maybe 5 miles up the road or so. If they install for free, well what the heck. Been paying those roadclub dues for years without a call......

Thanks again,

Archiver

Reply to
Archiver

Reply to
Bob I

Bob I wrote in news:0uGWf.2574$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga:

Thanks Bob - that's a nice little tutorial. Maybe doing it myself is better than towing it to Sears. Also looking into a subscription to Corvette Magazine might not hurt.

Archiver

Reply to
Archiver

The first time I replaced a battery in my C4 it took me about an hour. The next couple of times it took me 15-20 minutes. Taking the screws off and removing the side panel is probably the hardest thing about it. If you are careful, really careful, you can leave the bottoms ones on and bend the panel gently back until you have enough room to remove the battery. One hint: Before you start turn your wheel so you have room to work with in the wheel well.

Reply to
benf802961

I have a 93 convertible, it's pretty simple to take off the panel, but I only use Interstate batteries in my cars these days.

Reply to
Charlie

Having read through the Corvette Mag article I can say that in all the years I had a C4 (1985 on) I installed several batteries and never once loosened any rocker panel screws. You can get to the side panel lower bolt fairly easily without doing that. But they seemed to want to make it look hard when the first picture showed the front wheel removed. Later they were removing screws with the front wheel on and point straight ahead. DUH!!! You don't have to remove the wheel but turning to the left makes it much easier to get to those screws.

I second the Interstate battery recommendation. That is the only battery company I have bought from in the past 25 years and I have never had a problem with one. They last 4-8 years depending on usage (drive them every day to make them last) and if you ever have a problem, there are dealers everywhere in the US.

You can impress people by telling them that the first thing you have to do to replace the battery in a Corvette is remove the fender (think about it, that panel serves the function of a fender on a regular car) but the time to replace a battery should be less than 30 minutes including cleanup.

Dale

On or about Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:32:18 -0600, Bob I wrote or did cause to be written:

Reply to
Dale

Removing the side panel is super easy.

I was talking to the local autoparts store clerk who also had a C4 and had just replaced the battery. He said it took all day to get the thing out. Turns out, he didn't know to remove the body panel and somehow managed to pull the battery out from the top. Idiot! I can't even begin to imagine what a pain that must have been!

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

=================== I only had the experience with a 95....remove 3 or 4 bolts inside the fender well...and one nut on top of the anel and Loosen one nut between the rocker panel and the panel...That one nut is the only problem but sure not what I call hard to do..ONLY unusual thng is that I had to lay down on the ground to see theat nut...

To remove the panel it took less then 5 minutes...\

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

And here's the solution to that problem: When you buy the battery, also grab a cheap 10mm open-end or combination wrench. Grind it down in thickness (to about 3/32") so that it easily slides between the rocker panel and the bottom of the 'gill' panel.

Voila, special tool that loosens the nut very quickly and, for those with young knees, from the squat rather than the prone position. When finished, tape the tool to the inside of the gill panel or misplace it with other special tools that will reappear, only after your demise.

Reply to
PJ

Archiver wrote in news:Xns9795CC3D5BA9meprivacynet@216.196.97.131:

Thanks for all the advice guys. After buying a craftsman tool set it was pretty easy to change the battery. Now just have to hope the weather gets a little better to go out and enjoy the beast.

Archiver

Reply to
Archiver