Reprogramming PCM

I'd like to have my fans kick on a little sooner. I see this can be accomplished two ways. By getting a wiring harness and some other hardware or have the PCM reprogrammed. My friend informed me of this site:

He sent the PCM from his 03 Silverado there for reprogramming and when he got it back his truck ran significantly better. I contacted them about my fans and they said they can set it to have the fans to come on earlier and also have them stay of for a few minutes after shutting the motor down. He also said that they can get me 22 more HP by tweaking various control parameters in the PCM. All this for $90. So my questions are: Does anyone have any experience with this company? Has anyone had their PCM reprogrammed and if so what were the results? As for controlling the fans, I'm thinking going the PCM route is the preferred method. Is there something I'm missing in thinking this way? Are there benefits going the other way that I'm missing?

Jim

99 Mag Red Coupe, 6 speed, Z51
Reply to
JG

For the fan, agree, the PCM route is better than a wiring change.

Had a mild 'tune' in early February. Didn't do a fan change. This car doesn't do much work in city or 'rush hour' traffic. I opted for a conservative, mid-rpm tune. I believe that the only changes were fuel and spark tables in the 2500-4200 range. Didn't opt for changes in rpm limiter or an increase in WOT HP at 5000. Upside is improved pull in third and the car is quicker. Downside is my tendency to shift too early. Dyno numbers show the torque is still there but the gut sensation is that it's flat at 4500. Definitely not a Z06 feeling. Average of three 1/8 mile slips improved by 4 mph. (Quick, talented, and handsome youngster like Dad could probably squeeze it to 6 or 7 mph.)

$ 375 for the work. Included coarse tune, dyno, a second data load, another dyno and then steady state scans at four points in the changed range. Those scans offered some assurance that I won't melt the engine.

Suggestion & my opinion for a car with some miles on it: Unless you feel that hot 1/4 mile runs are a must and that engines are 'disposables,' go with a tuner who dynos the tune on the vehicle then scans all the critical parameters after the changes.

Enjoy & wave--even at C4s!

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe

Reply to
PJ