'Rules of the Road' question

I could look up the answer to this, but, i thought it would be fun to see if everyone is in agreement to the two following questions regarding Rules of the Road :
1. (Im not 100 percent sure of this )--- When in a school zone and the sign says :'School Zone . 20 mph When children are present' .... does this mean
A. When children are present INSIDE school on a school day ? B. When children are seen outside (only) in the School area/zone ?
Bonus : Do you still have to obey the 20 mph speed limit if School is closed, yet there are children in the area/zone ? Do you have to still obey if school is closed and there are NO children seen around ?
2. (I am 100 percent sure of this ) --- When travelling on a FOUR LANE road and there is a School Bus coming in the opposite direction on the other side of the road and stops with its 'STOP SIGN' out....
A. Must ALL four lanes of traffic stop ? B. Must only the traffic stop that is behind the school bus ?
dave long ago told us everything he knows about Corvettes (ZERO!), so now he wants to play trivia, when he wrote :

Dave, you just reminded me why I seldom come back to this NewsGroup. Your inane posts! You are such an idiot!
SHUT UP DAVE!!!
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:18:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Do you have a license to drive? Did you know each state has different laws?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Here in Oregon the powers that be attempted to simplify the rules because there were so many folks who didn't understand when what applied - exactly like your questions.
Last year, I believe it was, all school zones located along a section of roadway marked 35mph and above had to slow to 20mph during school hours whether children could be seen or not. Before and after hours one travelled at the regularly marked speed.
Along sections of road that were marked less than 35mph, the 20 mph school zone applied 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The idea was that these less than 35 areas are located in urban neighborhoods in which the schools usually become community and play centers even when school is not in session.
Seems more folks were confused than before. The above new law was amended so that the school zone speed hours are clearly marked or the 20mph speed applies when caution lights are flashing. Problem is that the funds aren't there yet to change out all the new signage.

Unless it's a divided highway ALL traffic must come to a stop - same applies with approaching emergency vehicles. If the highway is divided then only the lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction as the bus must come to a stop.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
'Unless it's a divided highway ALL traffic must come to a stop - same applies with approaching emergency vehicles. If the highway is divided then only the lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction as the bus must come to a stop. Here's waving to ya - \|||| Owen'
Reply: Interesting about the school zone up in your neck of the woods Owen. It is confusing. Ill have to see what it means for Illinois. In Illinois, only the traffic behind a stopped school bus must stop on a 4 lane ; the other side does not have to stop (although many do). Dave
Interesting on the school bus and four lanes. When did this change? It used to be stop all directions on 2- or 4- lane roads except divided 4-lane highways.
But I see you are right now.
Look it up. http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/rr/rr_chap03.html#special_stops
As to your school question http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/rr/rr_chap03.html#speed
I read that as between 7 am and 4 pm, you have to slow if school speed zone signs are posted and if any children are present. This means if no one is around, whip on through at the regular speed (but I'd be very watchful). But if children are present, you have to slow, even if it isn't the normal time they are getting out, a no-school day, summer, etc. This goes to what Owen was saying about the school being a center of play and so they could be there on Saturdays and summer days also.
I had a couple of cops tell me that if you are in a school zone, and the time isn't right or the lights are not flashing, and any accident happens, the judge will still consider the speed should have been slower because you have been warned it is a school zone and should automatically be more cautious.
And I remember doing donuts in the street in front of my old high school about midnight when the cops showed up. He wanted to know just what I thought I was doing, and I gave him a really convincing answer that was true. He shook his head and told me to go home.

ZRiX (<>..<>)

I had just finished putting the rear wheel bearings in and I wanted to test them to be sure all was in solid as I was going to an autocross the next day. I was going to go to K-Mart to do figure 8s to see that all was really seated, but decided that it was so far away, I could get stranded. The high school had wide parking on both sides of the street, so there was enough round to spin it back and forth, and if it broke, I was only three blocks from home. And there were no houses right there to disturb anyone.
By the time I did this, we had an understanding in town since no one there could catch me. I wouldn't go racing around town and they wouldn't chase me. They'd just go back to my house, sit on the porch and drink coffee with my Dad until I came home if I did.
With an understanding like that, they knew I was telling the truth and told me to go home.

1. Where I live (Middle GA). school zones are active during the school year during certain clearly marked times. Most zones have flashing lights indicating when the zones speed limits apply. Speed limits do not apply to large pick-up trucks and SUVs, however.
2. All directions stop. (Interestingly, traffic also stops for funeral processions)
'Where I live (Middle GA). school zones are active during the school year during certain clearly marked times. Most zones have flashing lights indicating when the zones speed limits apply. Speed limits do not apply to large pick-up trucks and SUVs, however.'
Reply: Why not SUV's and Large Pickup Trucks ???

Seems to me that people who drive those vehicles have a tendency to push the envelope -- perhaps because they are bigger than everyone else. But, then there are a lot of them around here. We also have a big problem with folks running red lights.... so you got to check both ways before you proceed on green What always amazes me are the drivers in big duallies and Yukons who pass me on the left on I 75 when I am running 80 in the center lane. I have checked some of them out at close to 100. If you make a mistake in something like that at that speed, you really have a problem.
That's why they die.

TWW wrote:

--
Ric Seyler