Secuirty Light Stays On

Page 1 of 2
The security light on my '98 has recently started to stay on after I start the engine. What it does is come on after I have been driving a few miles.
What kind of problem would this indicate? My alarm arms and disarms fine.
Thanks,
John
I would like to here an answer to this as I have the same problem...
--
ZRiX (<>..<>)
"AnytimeAnywhere" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
What code does it set?

None for me It is just on...
--
ZRiX (<>..<>)
"Dad" < snipped-for-privacy@fisher.net> wrote in message

if its on ? it usually throws up a code. there are so many things that can cause the security light to come on..
--
"Key"

> "Dad" < snipped-for-privacy@fisher.net> wrote in message
Check to see if the resistor is "squished" on your key. It may be ok to start for a while but then if that's the case you'll be dealing with the column lock bug. Try using your other key and see what happens.
-Stan

I have new keys but sometimes with any of my keys new and old I turn the key and dash light go seat moves but it will not crank so I pull it out put it in and try again and agin untill it starts and other time it starts the first time no problem... My understanding this has been the nature of this car for atleast 4 years... when the dealer did the column they said the the tumbler was worn some but the electrical was good, They did not open up housing they just ran test on the wires...
--
ZyRiX (<>..<>)

if your tumblers were worn ? the lock would probably not want to turn sometimes. or you would have to jiggle your key.
try cleaning the contacts in your lock. use WD-40. do NOT use graphite..
my2
--
"Key"

I do have to jiggle it... Thanks for the tip on WD-40
--
ZRiX (<>..<>)
""Key" < snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net> wrote in message
do NOT use wd-40. it isn't for locks. it is a water displacement material, and the leftovers will gunk up locks.

in message

wrong !!! it is great for cleaning out locks.

correct...
wrong again, wd washes itself with every use.
been using it all my life and for the lsat 24+ years as a Locksmith....
--
"Key"

the cause of the jiggle is either your key, lock or a little of both.
I would first try and have your key cut back to factory specs. (just a plane ole cheap mechanical key will do) you will then have a key with NO ware, just like when it was new. (all ya want to see is if it helps eliminate the jiggle) I would say 90% of the time, re-cutting the key back to specs will solve the jiggle problem.
remember, the wd-40 will not help the jiggle :-) but it will clean out your lock..
happy holidays
--
"Key"
==================================

I have over 100,000 miles on mine but I think I will go have a key cut by the dealer because when I got the car they only had one key and it was the original one very worn so I had 2 more made but they where cut from that key so I'll try the dealer...
Thanx
--
ZRiX (<>..<>)
"sbright" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
ZRiX wrote:

locksmith cut a "key to code." Rather then make a copy of your key, the locksmith will measure the depth of each notch in your key, determine what the original depth was for each pin position, then cut a new key that will match the original. Like a key-to-code from the dealer this will slow down tumbler wear in the lock. ... PJ

Dealer can only help you if the code is available. if its not ? go to your local locksmith. He can read your key and cut it back to specs.
--
"Key"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010106080405000801010906 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
"Key wrote:

tumblers inside the lock cylinder move before bottoming out or something of the such?
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

the locksmith should be able to just look at the bitting (cut-depths) on the old key and read the correct factory bitting. then, with the assistance of a code cutter, transfer the correct factory bitting to a new key blank.
g'day -- why ya think they call me "Key" ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080603080608050301090901 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Interesting stuff!
"Key wrote:

--