Self Adjusters

I've gone through the service manual and I've been to a few sites and still have this question: are the parking brake shoe adjusters supposed to be self
adjusting? I know about the cable and I've checked it on mine and the ratchet was functioning properly. A two weeks ago I pulled the rotors off and got to the pads. I cannot see how those adjusters are supposed to be extended other than doing it manually with the rotor off. Is there some trick to getting them to adjust without pulling the rotor?
By the way if you have to do this and get the shoes a little too tight and you end up pulling the shoes off the plate when pulling off the rotor you don't have to remove the axle (which is what the manual calls out) to reinstall the shoes. You will need some safety wire, a scribe and a long thin screwdriver plus another set of hands and it can be reinstalled without further disassembly..
--
Jim

Do you know how they are supposed to work? Backing up and sharply applying the foot brake a few times?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

looking at set up with the rotor off I can't see how they can be self adjusting. Are you supposed to back up and pull the parking brake to adjust them? Other than manually turning the adjuster wheel I can see of any other means to adjusting the parking brakes shoes.
They self adjust during normal operation of the vehicle parking brake. Apply and release the lever 3 times. WARNING: Do NOT actuate the lever with the brake rotor removed!
JG wrote:

I pulled the rotors both were barely grabbing and the adjusters looked like they hadn't moved in a while.